Washington Headquarters State Historic Site:
9 Photos to Inspire a Visit
Since visiting the Washington Headquarters State Historic Site, I’ve come to the conclusion that this treasure in Newburgh, NY should not be missed.
It’s not over-the-top kinda fun, but the type of outing that will inspire and educate.
And the views from the Headquarters cannot be beat.
So for now, let’s get into taking a better look at Washington Headquarters State Historic Site through my photographs.
VISITING HOURS: (as of the date of this updated post)
Winter Hours (November – Mid April) Fri & Sat: 11am – 3pm
Remainder of year (Mid April – Late Oct) Wed – Sat: 11 am – 4 pm & Sunday 1pm – 4pm
Grounds – Free
BUILDINGS: (Access to buildings with reservation only)
Tours: (by RESERVATION only)
Adult $4; Senior/Student $3; Child (12yrs-under) Free
This article contains affiliate links. I make a small commissions for purchases made through links at no extra cost to you.
Read my disclosure for more info.
Visiting the Washington Headquarters State Historic Site
Things to Know Before your Visit to
Washington Headquarters State Historic Site
- Washington’s Headquarters State Historic Site is open year-round.
- Their hours vary according to the season. Be sure to check their website for updated information.
- There is street parking on Liberty Street and also a small parking lot behind the State Historic Site.
Policies for Visiting the Museum & Headquarters during the Pandemic:
- Reservations are required in order to visit the buildings.
- The grounds & self-guided outside tours are available without a reservation.
- Call 845-562-1195 to make reservations and for more information.
Essentials you need for any Hudson Valley Outing:
Personalized Hudson Valley Directory
Personalized Hudson Valley T-shirts
101+ Things to do in the HV for $10 or less
Click below to see items I always have during my Hudson Valley Outings:
- Because ‘you never know’ when an accident happens, you need this product in your life. This is a great buy for under $15
- If you’re going to be out all day exploring, you never REALLY know what the weather will be like. Even if you think you do know, this is an essential item. This is another great buy for under $15.
- My favorite walking shoes, by far, are these because they are soft and the memory foam feels great on my feet.
Where is Washington Headquarters State Historic Site?
Before I get into the content about photography and the Washington’s Headquarters State Historic Site, you’re going to have questions about where this place is.
The Washington’s Headquarters State Historic Site is located in the city of Newburgh (Orange County, NY).
Conveniently located near the New York State Thruway and Interstate 84, the Washington’s Headquarters State Historic Site is easily accessible.
84 Liberty Street
About the Washington Headquarters State Historic Site
Of all the Hudson Valley historic sites, the Washington Headquarters State Historic Site in Newburgh is one of my favorites.
It definitely feels less touristy. Not sure if it’s because this Historic Site is not as grand as others in the Hudson Valley or because it is located in Newburgh, but I prefer the quaintness of it to other historic sites which are more crowded.
Due to its close proximity to the Hudson River, this is the best place to sit and take in the beauty of the Hudson River.
Why is the Washington Headquarters State Historic Site so special?
This historic site was the nation’s FIRST public historic site and is where General Washington spent more time than any other place during the Revolution.
However, in this article, I want to focus more directly on places to take photos within this State Historic Site more specifically.
Trendy Tees for your Visit to the Newburgh
These stylish t-shirts are perfect for any outing in Orange County, NY:
Orange County, NY Established 1683 T-Shirt
Don’t Make Me Repeat Myself T-Shirt
Orange County NY Towns T-Shirt
Best Photo locations at the Washington Headquarters State Historic Site
#1: The Main Gate of the Historic Site
Of all the places to photograph at the historic site, the main gate is something that is often overlooked. Visitors walk past so quickly, that they often forget about the beauty of entrances.
#2: Hasbrouck House
Hasbrouck House served as Washington Headquarters during the Revolutionary War. It is the location where George Washington remained the longest, as his headquarters, during the war.
#3: The Museum
The Museum houses the exhibit: Unpacked & Rediscovered. The exhibit highlights objects in Washington’s vast collection.
The highlight of the museum is an exhibit featuring the chain that was stretched across the Hudson River from West Point to Fort Constitution to hinder the passage of British Ships.
#4: The Minuteman Statue
On the grounds stands “The Minute Man”. Erected in 1924, this bronze sculpture was created by Henry Hudson Kitson to pay tribute to the minutemen of the Revolutionary War.
#5: Tower of Victory
This stupendous monument was completed in 1890 after four years of construction. It was built to celebrate the centennial of Washington’s stay on the site.
#6: The Grounds of the Historic Site
For me, the grounds are my favorite place at the Washington Headquarters State Historic Site. The stones on the ground, the view of the Hudson River and the View of the Tower of Victory were my favorite to take photographs of.
Special Events at Washington Headquarters State Historic Site
The Washington Headquarters State Historic Site is host to special celebrations throughout the year. Hopefully, these events will return soon.
- Washington’s Birthday Celebration
- Kite Flying on the Grounds
- Costumed Interpreters & Tours
Make a statement on your Next Outing with
These Exclusive HVE Products
THINGS TO DO NEAR WASHINGTON HEADQUARTERS STATE HISTORIC SITE:
- Explore everything to see & do in Newburgh, NY (Some may surprise you)
- The Best Things to do in Beacon NY
- Find fun things to do on the Newburgh Waterfront (besides eat)
Camera Gear for Photographing at Washington Headquarters State Historic Site
If you know my work and photographs on my website, you know that I exclusively use my iPhone for all the photos.
During these visits I used the following items/apps:
- VividHDR App
- Camera+ App
- Case with Pop Socket
- Snapseed App for editing
Tips for an Amazing Visit To Washington Headquarters State Historic Site
- The Washington Headquarters State Historic Site is a fenced in area within the city of Newburgh. Liberty Street is an up and coming area with flourishing boutiques and coffee shops.
- However, it’s not unusual for some people to feel unsafe in the area. Remain alert during your visit.
- Wear comfortable shoes. Although the Historic Site is small, it is set on a hill and only some parts are paved.
- Try to go on a sunny summer day, when the blue of the sky makes a beautiful contrast against the green of the mountains and the blue of the river.
- There are benches situated around the property where you can enjoy the day and the view.
- The grounds of the Washington Headquarters State Historic Site are dog-friendly.
WASHINGTON HEADQUARTERS STATE HISTORIC SITE
84 Liberty Street
Until the Next Adventure…
Jackie is one of the top bloggers in the Hudson Valley. She has been featured (along with some of her photos) in several local and national publications. Read Jackie’s crazy story, “From a Naive NYC Girl to Popular Hudson Valley Blogger & Author“. Feel free to send Jackie a message here.