27+ Romantic Things to do
in the Hudson Valley: Date Ideas
Why is it so stressful to plan something special and romantic for someone else? You want to plan the perfect day and/or evening. You want to impress your significant other with something special. What if I told you you don’t have to go into NYC at all and there are plenty of romantic things to do in the Hudson Valley, would you believe me?
I definitely have a soft spot for romance and everything cheesy that goes along with it. I love to try new things, but not at the expense of my sanity. So, I do prefer to stay closer to home when celebrating with my hubby and I prefer to find romantic things to do in the Hudson Valley.
I want to first share the reasons why you should spend time celebrating special occasions in the Hudson Valley.
This article contains an affiliate link or two. I make a small commission for purchases made through links at no extra cost to you. Read my disclosure for more info.
Things to Know before Finding Romantic Things to do in the Hudson Valley:
- Make reservations well in advance. Many popular places get filled up quickly, especially during the weekends.
- If you’re trying out a BRAND NEW place or activity, make sure you research it so you will know that it’s something you really want to do.
- Check individual websites because activities, menus, hours and even prices change depending on the season/holiday (Valentine’s Day). You never want to be disappointed if it’s not something you expected.
- Some of these locations are seasonal, so if you’re romantic outing is during the winter, some of these places will be closed. Confirm all information on each location’s website.
- How To Find Great Deals while looking for Romantic Things to do in the Hudson Valley
- 1. Beat the city traffic and stay close to home
- 2. Hudson Valley is Wine Country, After-all.
- 3. If wine is not your thing, then visit a Cidery, Brewery or Distillery instead.
- 4. Try Something New without Breaking the Bank
- 5. We have Top-Notch Chefs in every city and town
- 6. The Sunset Photos and Landscape Shots are Amazing in the Hudson Valley and very Instagram-Worthy
- 7. Food & Live Music go Hand-in-Hand
- 8. Find your Inner Van Gogh
- 9. Create other products you can take home
- 10. Have a ‘Cheap’-ish Date Night
- 11. Day or Night, there are always romantic things to do in the Hudson Valley
- Looking for the Perfect Gift for a Travel Lover?
- Tips For Successfully doing Romantic Things in the Hudson Valley:
How To Find Great Deals while looking for Romantic Things to do in the Hudson Valley
I am all about saving money while out and that’s why this information is essential if you also like to save money.
- I love using LocalFlavor.com to find deals on restaurants and fun things to do.
- When researching for this article, I found amazing deals for restaurants in Yonkers, Dobbs Ferry, New Rochelle, and so many more places.
- I also found discounts on other local attractions to fill the day
- Groupon is also my go-to resource for deals. To be honest, I usually go to Groupon FIRST and then I hit other websites.
Romantic Things to do in the Hudson Valley that beat going into the city
1. Beat the city traffic and stay close to home
As someone who once lived in the city, I get anxiety-ridden now just thinking about driving down there.
What should be an easy ride to New York City can become disastrous when you factor in people who drive super slow, accidents along the way and Google Maps re-routing you to avoid the inevitable traffic jam.
Save your sanity and stay in the Hudson Valley. You can have a spectacular time in the next town over or in the next county without the headache of driving into NYC.
Taking the Train in the Hudson Valley
If taking the train is more your speed, you can also take the train to a different area of the Hudson Valley and walk around and walk to your destination.
Towns like Cold Spring, Peekskill, White Plains, New Rochelle, Scarsdale, and Katonah, to name a few, have their Metro-North train stations right in the heart of town. That means that you can easily walk from the train to local restaurants and attractions.
- If you’d like to visit DIA:Beacon, in Dutchess County, you can easily walk from the Beacon station to this fantastic art museum.
- For movie lovers, the Jacob Burns Film Center is a quick walk from the Pleasantville Station in Westchester County.
- You can find many wonderful restaurants right on Main Street, close to the train station in Cold Spring, Peekskill, Beacon & Poughkeepsie.
- New Roc City is also close to the New Rochelle Metro-North Train Station.
2. Hudson Valley is Wine Country, After-all.
When you want great wine, look no further than the Hudson Valley.
With so many wineries and vineyards, there is no shortage of places to visit and romantic things to do in the Hudson Valley.
Shawangunk Wine Trail is a popular area to participate in the best Hudson Valley wine tastings.
A total of 15 wineries make up the Shawangunk trail, so there is bound to be something for everyone to enjoy. In addition to the wonderful wines, taking in the Hudson Valley views is also one of the most romantic things to do in the Hudson Valley.
SOME POPULAR HUDSON VALLEY WINERIES INCLUDE:
- Benmarl Winery, Marlboro
- Glorie Farm Winery, Marlboro
- Brotherhood Winery, Washingtonville
- Milea Estate Wineries, Staatsburgh
- Magnanini Winery, Wallkill
- Nostrano Winery, Milton
Click below to see some items you should have during your Hudson Valley Outings
and you will be guaranteed a successful outing:
- Because ‘you never know’ when an accident happens, you need a small, portable First Aid Kit, like this product in your life. This is a great buy for under $15
- If you’re going to be out all day exploring, you never REALLY know what the weather will be like. Even if you think you do know, it can start raining at any time, so this small life-saver is an essential item. This is another great buy on Amazon for under $15.
- My favorite walking shoes, by far, are these because they are soft and the memory foam feels great on my feet. See the color and size choices here.
- Looking great during your Hudson Valley outings is essential and this Hudson Valley Merchandise is perfect for any outing!
3. If wine is not your thing, then visit a Cidery, Brewery or Distillery instead.
Again, there is no shortage of places in the Hudson Valley to try a good adult beverage. Hard Cider, Small breweries and Distilleries are very popular and are sprouting up in many towns and cities in the Hudson Valley. They, too, take something ordinary and can be one of the romantic things to do in the Hudson Valley.
Angry Orchard, in Walden, is a popular spot for locals and tourists alike. They offer outdoor tables near heaters and fire pits. Reservations are needed and this service is offered from Thursday – Sunday.
OTHER POPULAR PLACES FOR HUDSON VALLEY HARD CIDER INCLUDE:
- Hudson Valley Farmhouse Cider, Stone Ridge – Their Farm Bar is open Fri, Sat & Sun
- Naked Flock, Warwick – open days vary according to season
- Bad Seed Cider, Highland (Sat & Sun)
- Brooklyn Cider House, New Paltz (open seasonally: Apr – Nov)
In addition to hard cider, many people enjoy local breweries and it’s known that the Hudson Valley has some of the best breweries around.
READ MORE HERE:
- Popular places to taste and enjoy Hudson Valley Hard Cider
- The Ultimate List of Hudson Valley Breweries
- Distilleries located throughout Hudson Valley that you should visit this weekend
4. Try Something New without Breaking the Bank
Gas + Parking Fee + Activity Fee = Spending lots of money
Who has time and the budget to try out a new activity down in the City? With so many romantic things to do in the Hudson Valley, then staying local is a no-brainer.
Visit another Dimension while staying in the Hudson Valley:
Virtual Reality is the latest and greatest thing in fun and entertainment. Imagine fighting off drones in a galaxy far away without leaving Croton-on-Hudson. That and much more is possible with a visit to The Edge VR. This unique place is one of the best experiences in the Hudson Valley.
Visit an All-In-One Entertainment Center:
The Palisades Mall is ‘Entertainment Central’.
If you have not been recently, then you must check out my post all about the activities housed at the Palisades Mall. It’s not just a place for shopping, and eating but a great place to have fun.
Added bonus: It’s all indoors and parking is FREE (except if you do Valet parking, that is)
Visit a Historic Home:
Depending on what time of the year you are planning your outing, visiting a historic site/home is one of the most romantic things to do in the Hudson Valley.
- Philipse Manor Hall State Historic Site, Yonkers
- Lyndhurst Mansion, Tarrytown
- Eleanor Roosevelt National Historic Site, Hyde Park
- FDR National Historic Site & Library, Hyde Park
- Vanderbilt Mansion, Hyde Park
5. We have Top-Notch Chefs in every city and town
You don’t have to look very far if you’re looking for a popular restaurant for a special occasion. Whether it’s for lunch or dinner, visiting some of these restaurants is one of the most romantic things to do in the Hudson Valley.
The Hudson Valley is home to some of the most premier chefs in the world. Not only is the food delicious and fresh, but the atmosphere in these establishments is spectacular.
Now, I’m not just talking about fine dining, I am also talking about small family-owned establishments and the local pub.
Who doesn’t love some pub food and a cold one (wine, beer, cider, or drink)?
Have you dined in your own private igloo? Then check out Hotel Nyack and make sure to reserve yours today.
MANY LOCAL FAVORITE RESTAURANTS INCLUDE:
- Henry’s at the Farm, Milton
- Gunk Haus, Highland
- Half Moon, Dobbs Ferry
- The Amsterdam, Rhinebeck
- Brasserie 292, Poughkeepsie
- The Roundhouse, Beacon
- ’76 House, Tappan
- Vintage 1891 Kitchen, Larchmont
- Benjamin Steakhouse, White Plains
- and so many more…
Coming in to visit the Hudson Valley? Find a discounted hotel with our friends at Expedia!
6. The Sunset Photos and Landscape Shots are Amazing in the Hudson Valley and very Instagram-Worthy
Taking in the Hudson Valley scenery is one of the most romantic things to do in the Hudson Valley. Catching a beautiful sunset looking at mountains or the Hudson River is the best it’s gonna get.
Take that picture and cherish that moment forever.
If you feel inspired enough to propose to your significant other, here is a list of romantic and photo-worthy spots in the Hudson Valley.
SOME POPULAR LOCATIONS INCLUDE:
- Walkway over the Hudson, Poughkeepsie & Highland
- Croton Gorge Park, Croton
- Playland Park Boardwalk, Rye
- Untermyer Park & Gardens, Yonkers
7. Food & Live Music go Hand-in-Hand
In my family, the way to my husband’s heart is through his stomach, but the way to my heart is through music. I am a music FANATIC and love hearing live music anywhere.
It doesn’t matter what kind of music it is. The most romantic things, for me, to do in the Hudson Valley includes anything to eat and live music.
Some notable places are:
8. Find your Inner Van Gogh
Paint & Sip places are not just for a girls’ day/night out, these can be one of the most romantic things to do in the Hudson Valley.
Some locations even offer couples painting, where you paint one half and your significant other paints the other half of the painting. I think this is a very cool ideas.
SOME POPULAR LOCATIONS INCLUDE:
- Eat. Paint. Love, Beacon
- Pinot’s Palette, Fishkill
- Muse Paintbar, Yonkers
- Muse Paintbar, White Plains
- The Pottery Factory, Mt Kisco
9. Create other products you can take home
Some people may not be into painting on canvas and prefer another medium to show off their talents and have a special keepsake to take home. From painting ceramics to making candles, there is so much you can enjoy with your significant other. And, the best part, is that you can take your items home and reminisce about your experience for years to come.
SOME POPULAR LOCATIONS INCLUDE:
- Mundane in Cold Spring – This shop helps you make your own candles, reed diffuser and/or ceramic beads with scents that YOU choose.
- Potter’s Party in New Windsor – Potter’s Party is a studio that is open to all ages and all levels of art experience where you can relax with your family and friends while creating a unique piece of art!
- Ceramics By You in Wappingers Falls – Show off your creativity while painting a keepsake
- Uptiquing Paint & Ceramic in Pine Bush – Choose from a variety of ceramic pieces or home decor wood rounds to paint.
- Plaster Palace Pottery in Larchmont – A great place to creat, shop or have a birthday party!
- Color Me Mine in Nyack – Go create, attend an event, or have a party, your choice.
- A Maze in Pottery in Briarcliff Manor – They are the oldest walk-in paint-your-own-pottery studio in Westchester County, NY
10. Have a ‘Cheap’-ish Date Night
There are fun multi-activity centers that love to host date nights. These places can be one of the most romantic things to do in the Hudson Valley if bowling, axe throwing, food and drinks are your thing.
SOME POPULAR LOCATIONS INCLUDE:
- Spins Bowl in Poughkeepsie
- Spins Bowl in Carmel
- Spins Bowl in Wappingers Falls
- Spins Bowl, Mt. Kisco
11. Day or Night, there are always romantic things to do in the Hudson Valley
It can be as simple as a stroll in the park or waterfront, such as Newburgh Waterfront, Yonkers Waterfront, Nyack Waterfront or the Cold Spring waterfront. Whatever the activity is, being with your significant other or your friends should make it extra special.
Looking for the Perfect Gift for a Travel Lover?
Reference my Ultimate Guide to 40+ Unique Gifts for a travel enthusiast and Hudson Valley Explorer before looking for a gift elsewhere. These ideas may surprise your love one and make them feel special!
- A Perfect Necklace for the Travel Lover – If you’re looking for a special gift for the special woman in your life, then this necklace will do the trick.
- Adventure Fund Shadow Box Frame – I wish I had one of these when I was growing up. I would have put extra money in there all the time and daydreamed of my future adventures.
- Fun & Cool Hudson Valley T-Shirts, Stickers and Totes – These vintage t-shirts make the perfect gift for anyone who loves the Hudson Valley.
Tips For Successfully doing Romantic Things in the Hudson Valley:
- Give yourself enough time to plan and make reservations.
- If you are unsure if a reservation is needed, your best bet is to contact the location.
- Have a back-up plan in case your location is full/sold-out.
- Use the links provided above to read about first-hand experiences at some of these locations.
Until the Next Adventure…
Check out My Etsy Shop
where you will find deals on Tees, Totes & More.
PIN IT FOR LATER!