The Gem of Yonkers Parks: Untermyer Gardens
Step inside the ‘Gleaming Gem’ of Yonkers parks.
Out of all the parks and gardens in Yonkers, NY, (and there are many) one particularly stands out from the rest – Untermyer Park.
Would you believe it if I told you that the Lower Hudson Valley is home to an array of beautiful Hudson Valley parks and gardens? Yonkers parks in particular, are shockingly different from each other and each offers something special for its thousands of visitors throughout the year.
Untermyer is not your average park or garden. It is something of a ‘Secret Garden’.
Come take a look inside this Yonkers park that can easily be called one of the most beautiful gardens in the Hudson Valley.
This article contains affiliate links. I make a small commissions for purchases made through links at no extra cost to you.
Read my disclosure for more info.
Essentials you need for any Hudson Valley Outing:
Personalized Hudson Valley Directory
Personalized Hudson Valley T-shirts
101+ Things to do in the HV for $10 or less
Click below to see items I always have during my Hudson Valley Outings:
- Because ‘you never know’ when an accident happens, you need this product in your life. This is a great buy for under $15
- If you’re going to be out all day exploring, you never REALLY know what the weather will be like. Even if you think you do know, this is an essential item. This is another great buy for under $15.
- My favorite walking shoes, by far, are these because they are soft and the memory foam feels great on my feet.
List of Some Yonkers parks
As a reference, I am including a small list of other Yonkers Parks that are also great to visit when in the Yonkers, NY area.
- Tibbetts Brook Park
- Sprain Ridge Park
- Bronx River Pathway
- Old Croton Aqueduct State Historic Park
- Yonkers Waterfront & Pier
- Bronx River Reservation
Visiting Untermyer Park & Garden
Where is this Gem of Yonkers Parks Located?
Now that we got that out of the way, let’s talk about Untermyer Park & Gardens.
Located on North Broadway in Yonkers, you first notice that there is no fanfare, banners, or over-the-top signs declaring that you have arrived at this one-of-a-kind of Yonkers parks.
What you do find is a ‘Walled Garden’ discreetly tucked away and ‘hidden’ from plain view.
945 North Broadway
Yonkers, NY 10701
What you Need to Know before visiting the Gem of Yonkers Parks:
- The Park & Garden are closed on major holidays from December through March.
- New Year’s Day, Martin Luther King Jr Day, Washington’s Birthday and Lincoln’s Birthday.
- Keep in mind that the park and gardens will be closed during icy conditions in wintertime.
- Entrance to the park and gardens is always FREE
- Tours are available on select days (fees are dependent on the tour) SEE BELOW
More important information:
- There is some limited parking near the park and gardens in the community center parking lot and there is plenty of metered and non-metered street parking.
- Dogs are NOT permitted at the park and gardens, except for service dogs.
- To preserve this majestic park and gardens, please adhere by their Garden Etiquette.
What exactly is Untermyer Park & Garden?
This public park and gardens are a massive 43-acres and encompass the most breathtaking Grecian sculptures found in the Lower Hudson Valley.
This ‘Hidden’ garden is not only majestic during the warmer months when the flowers are in full bloom but remain that way throughout the year.
The Yonkers Parks Department and the Untermyer Gardens Conservancy should be applauded for the efforts made at keeping this place stunning year after year. Without their hours, days and years of dedication to this wonderful place, who knows what condition it would currently be in.
Where is Untermyer Park located?
When traveling all through Westchester County for work, I’m sure I passed this hidden Yonkers Park at least several dozen times without knowing it was there.
That stretch of North Broadway in Yonkers is a busy one (with St. John’s Riverside Hospital right next door), so if you’re not looking for Untermyer, you will pass it.
The park and gardens are sandwiched between the Hudson River Museum and St. John’s Riverside Hospital.
How to get to this One of Many gorgeous Yonkers Parks
Untermyer is located on North Broadway, right along the Hudson River in Yonkers, NY. Nestled between the heart of Downtown Yonkers and Hastings-on-Hudson, this park is easily accessible by car and train.
Use the Google map (above and below) to get specific driving directions.
If you’re traveling by car, the gardens are located off of the Saw Mill River Parkway.
If you’re traveling by bus, the Bee Line has stops very close to the park and gardens.
If you’re traveling by train, the Metro-North Hudson Line’s Greystone stop is the closest to the park and gardens.
Days & Time to Visit
Untermyer Park & Gardens is open daily from 7 am and closes an hour before sunset, rain or shine.
During their yearly Grand Holiday Illumination (select days in December until New Year’s Day) the Park & Garden is open until 8 pm.
Make a statement on your Next Outing with
These Exclusive HVE Products
Are there tours available?
The Untermyer Park & Gardens holds several different tours on select Sundays.
These tours run from April through the beginning of November.
- History Tour ($10) – If you want to know all about the history of the estate, then this is the tour for you. This tour does not highlight and only offers limited information about the plants in the park & garden.
- President’s Tour ($25) – This tour is led by the founder and president of the Untermyer Gardens Conservancy and takes a deeper look at the history of the property and the architecture.
- Garden Tour ($10) – If you want to know about the architecture, plants, garden design and all the things that make this place so beautiful, then this is the tour for you.
- The tours are approximately 1 hour and 30 minutes long.
- Children twelve years old and under are FREE
- Reservations are needed for tours
- The tours begin near the parking lot at 945 North Broadway.
Also, the tours consist of walking down the steps of the Vista and then up a wooded path, so keep that in mind when booking a tour.
What to Expect when Visiting
Untermyer is the most unique of all the Yonkers Parks. It is grand and envelopes the senses in its beauty.
What can you expect to see during your visit to Untermyer?
- The Walled Garden is the main focus of the visit. The garden itself has water canals, plants and an array of Greek architecture.
- The Vista consists of 135 steps down from the main garden leading to the Hudson River.
- The Temple of Love is a wonderous gazebo showcased among a rock formation.
Prepare to spend some time taking it all in and you may need to visit several times in order to appreciate all of its beauty.
What makes this Yonkers Park such a unique place?
- The views are spectacular from wherever you stand or sit, but this is an especially wonderful place to enjoy views of the Hudson River and the Palisades.
- Untermyer Park was added to the National Register of Historic Places and is maintained by a non-profit organization. They have been restoring the park & garden since 2011.
- During the day (both at 10:30 am and 3:30 pm), Untermyer Park & Gardens plays recorded music for 30 minutes for all its visitors to enjoy.
Untermyer Park & Gardens Typically Hosts other special events during the year: (Check website)
- The Garden Photowalk – Offered monthly
- Hand-Tied Wreath Making Workshop – Check their calendar for the specific date
- Storytime in the Garden – Offered Weekly
- Yoga in the Walled Garden – Check their calendar for specific dates
- Think Spring: Bulb Workshop – Check their calendar for the specific date
- Summertime: American Songbook in the Gardens – Check their calendar for the specific date
- Trees of Untermyer Gardens – Check their calendar for the specific date
- And so much more…
Essential Tips for an Amazing visit to Untermyer Park
What to Wear:
- Wear comfortable clothes and shoes, like these. Umbrellas and/or ponchos are recommended during rainy weather
What NOT to Wear:
- If you’re planning to walk all around the park and garden, high-heeled shoes or other dress shoes are not recommended
What to Pack:
- Pack a picnic and bring a blanket: these are my favorite ones. You can relax with these items in the designated areas of the park and garden.
What to Bring:
- Hats, sunblock and bug repellent (seasonal).
- Don’t forget to bring your phone fully charged so you are prepared to take lots of photos.
What NOT to Bring:
- If you are visiting and venturing down the steps of The Vista and/or taking a tour and have very young children, it is advised that you NOT bring a stroller. There are many steps and some wooded areas on the path.
945 North Broadway
Yonkers, NY 10701
LOOKING FOR MORE FREE THINGS TO DO IN WESTCHESTER?
Click on this article all about free things to do with or without kids.
MORE OUTDOOR LOCATIONS IN THE HUDSON VALLEY:
- A Visit to Storm King Art Center
- A Visit to Bannerman Castle
- Hudson Valley Popular Parks in each county
Until the Next Adventure…
Jackie is one of the top bloggers in the Hudson Valley. She has been featured (along with some of her photos) in several local and national publications. Read Jackie’s crazy story, “From a Naive NYC Girl to Popular Hudson Valley Blogger & Author“. Feel free to send Jackie a message here.