Best 13+ Things to do in Newburgh NY that you will Love (Guaranteed)
During any given season, Newburgh seems like its a busy city. Is it because of the activity on Broadway – Cars driving up and down, parking, visiting local businesses? Or is it because there are so many things to do in Newburgh NY that it’s hard to image this city ever sleeps.
The city of Newburgh NY can be found in the middle of the Mid-Hudson Valley and is a hub for businesses and for people looking for things to do in Newburgh NY. With a population of over 28,000 in 2019, it remains as one of the busiest cities in the immediate region.
The city and town of Newburgh NY has many popular attractions & amazing restaurants, welcoming thousands of visitors yearly who come to enjoy the views of the Hudson River, the history of the area, such as Washington’s Headquarters State Historic Site and so much more.
This article contains an affiliate link or two. I make a small commission for purchases made through links at no extra cost to you. Read my disclosure for more info.
- Where is Newburgh NY?
- Characteristics of Newburgh NY
- How far is Newburgh from NYC?
- Newburgh is a Transportation Hub
- Are Things to do in Newburgh NY safe to do?
- What is Newburgh NY popular for?
- What are some things to do in Newburgh NY today?
- Number 1: George Washington State Historic Site
- Number 2: Visit Small Businesses in and around Washington's Headquarters
- Number 3: Stroll historic streets/cobblestone
- Number 4: Visit a Newburgh College
- Number 5: Walk along, Eat or take a Hudson River Cruise at the Newburgh Waterfront
- Number 6: Stop & get some coffee at 2 Alice's or Blacc Vanilla
- Number 7: Shop at the Newburgh Vintage Emporium/Newburgh Vintage Emporium Ware-house
- Number 8: Take the ferry from Newburgh to Beacon
- Number 9: Learn all about the history of motorcycles at Motorcycledia
- Number 10: Tour Bannerman Castle from Newburgh
- Number 12: Experience some Newburgh festivals
- Number 13: Visit a Local Farm
- Tips for A Successful Visit to Newburgh NY:
Where is Newburgh NY?
Located near the Newburgh-Beacon Bridge/The Hamilton Fish and I-84 in Orange County NY sits this diverse city full of art, music, food, and everything in between. Newburgh NY is truly a special place in the Hudson Valley.
Newburgh New York sits along the Hudson River sandwiched between New Windsor, NY and Marlboro, NY. It’s located on the northern-most eastern side of Orange County NY.
Things to know before visiting Newburgh, NY:
- Although Newburgh NY is a walkable city, the quickest and safest way to get from one attraction to another is by car.
- Because of the pandemic, many indoor Hudson Valley locations require a reservation/ticket to visit.
- Check the individual websites to confirm the operating hours of the businesses you plan to visit.
- Reservations may be required to visit certain locations and/or eat at certain restaurants.
- Street parking is abundant in and around local streets. It can be limited at the Newburgh Waterfront, especially during the warmer months.
Characteristics of Newburgh NY
Newburgh NY is a vibrant and diverse city full of spectacular historical sites, fantastic museums, vast public parks, and more. Of course, no visit is complete without spending some time eating at a local restaurant and strolling along the Newburgh Waterfront. And these are just a few things to do in the more than 4 3/4 miles that makes up Newburgh NY.
There are plenty of things to see and do while you’re here, so check out our list of things to do in Newburgh to see just what this city has to offer.
Directly across the Hudson River you can spot Beacon, NY.
History of Newburgh
Newburgh is the location of numerous preserved landmarks, including Washington’s Headquarters, the David Crawford House, New York State Armory, the Dutch Reformed Church, and Newburgh Colored Burial Ground. The city of Newburgh was founded in 1865, 65 years after the town of Newburgh was founded.
George Washington and the Continental Army planned their fight against the British rule right there in Newburgh, NY.
For decades, it was the key link between Albany and New York City. The majestic river played a vital role in the Hudson River maritime trade and its ports busy with fisherman and tradesman alike.
The City of Newburgh website’s ‘City History Section (www.cityofnewburgh-ny.gov/city-history) has in depth information about the city’s long history.
How far is Newburgh from NYC?
Between fifty and sixty five miles north of Manhattan, Newburgh is a city that played a significant role in American history. Nestled mostly in rural and suburban Orange County, this once grand city boasts the best views of the Hudson River right from Broadway.
You can travel to Newburgh NY by car, bus and train.
The cheapest and quickest way to get to Newburgh NY is by car, while the bus is the second quickest way to get to Newburgh NY.
What is the best way to get to Newburgh NY without a car?
The best way to get from Manhattan to Newburgh without a car is by bus. There is a direct bus from New York City that arrives in Newburgh (Broadway & Lake St). Service occurs four times a day, Monday through Friday.
Is there a train from NYC to Newburgh?
The train does not run directly to Newburgh NY. The most direct train path is taking the Harlem Line from 125th street directly to Beacon, NY. There is a ferry that takes you across the Hudson River from Beacon NY to Newburgh NY. The 10-minute Commuter Ferry ride will take you right to the Metro-North station in Beacon. Check the website for the schedule and updated information.
Check this article all about the great things to do in Orange County NY to get up-to-date information regarding all the fun and exciting things to do in Orange County, NY.
Newburgh is a Transportation Hub
Newburgh NY is the middle point from New York City to Albany.
It is the center for so many modes of transportation:
- Major Interstates
This makes it a perfect place to take a day trip from New York City.
Are Things to do in Newburgh NY safe to do?
Just like visiting any city in New York State, the most important thing is to use your common sense when visiting. Although Newburgh NY is an area with notorious high crime, I, personally, have never had an issue when visiting. I’ve also only visited during the day.
Like I stated in the tips above, it’s best to drive from one area of interest in Newburgh NY to another. Some streets are better to walk down than others and your intuition is your best bet.
What is Newburgh NY popular for?
If you’re wondering what to do in Newburgh, read on to discover the top # things to do in Newburgh NY.
If you’re wondering what other things you can do around Newburgh, then click here to discover more:
What are some things to do in Newburgh NY today?
Number 1: George Washington State Historic Site
This is one of my absolute favorite things to do in Newburgh NY. The historic home on the property is called Hasbrouck House and is the longest he stayed at any headquarters throughout the 8 1/2 years of the Revolution. The Hasbrouck House is furnished to reflect Washington’s stay and is open for guided tours.
This is the nation’s first publicly owned historic site. The museum that is adjacent to the Hasbrouck House houses a fantastic portrait of George Washington, as well as, an exhibition of objects highlighting Washington’s Headquarters. The Tower of Victory is also one of the best things to do in Newburgh NY.
Read more about Washington’s Headquarters State Historic Site Here
Number 2: Visit Small Businesses in and around Washington’s Headquarters
While you’re on Liberty Street visiting the Washington Headquarters State Historic Site, you can check out some of the local businesses on Liberty Street.
Some favorites are:
- Ms. Fairfax – With lovely backyard space and quaint indoor space, Ms. Fairfax is known for it’s great food and even better service.
- Newburgh Flour Shop – this family-owned bakery specializes in artisanal breads, baked goods, pastries and special order cakes.
- 2 Alice’s Coffee Lounge – located on Broadway, this local favorite has an eclectic vibe. With its great coffee, fantastic food and wonderful staff, it’s no wonder it’s a favorite of many.
- Newburgh Brewing Company – this local Newburgh favorite serves up great food, great beer. Their elevated pub food and eclectic beer selection is the reason keep coming back.
- The Wherehouse – this pub, bar & grill has an extensive menu of over 50 burgers, and has the ever-popular Taco Tuesdays, Wild Wing Wednesday, Mac Daddy Thursday and Sunday Brunch.
- Bivona Pasta Shop – Located on Liberty Street, Chef Bivona is a Newburgh native and has worked in some of the finest restaurants in New York City. As a Food Network Chef, his talents are shown through his delicious, homemade pastas, and sauces.
Number 3: Stroll historic streets/cobblestone
Walking down some of the streets feels like walking through a museum of architectural splendor. Luxurious and ornate mansions line some of the streets and many have spectacular river views. The cobblestone streets up Liberty Street by Mount Saint Mary’s College are extraordinary. This is one of the best things to do in Newburgh NY and one of my personal favorites.
Number 4: Visit a Newburgh College
Mount Saint Mary College
Mount Saint Mary College is a private, Catholic college founded in the 1950’s by the Dominican Sisters. The 44 acre campus overlooks the Hudson River and the college’s buildings range from 19th-century home and carriage carriage house to more modern. The campus is beautiful and well worth a stroll.
Located high above the banks of the Hudson River and just off of Broadway, SUNY Orange offers the great combination of community college and city life. It’s an easy stroll and offers a sense of escape from our hectic lives.
Number 5: Walk along, Eat or take a Hudson River Cruise at the Newburgh Waterfront
The Newburgh Waterfront is a historic waterfront on the Hudson River. In addition to popular restaurants, there is also access to the Newburgh-Beacon ferry and sight-seeing cruises (operating seasonally).
These things to do in Newburgh NY are not limited to the area right by the water on Front Street, there are also notable locations on Water Street that are worth visiting.
- Eat a slice or two and some wings at Cosimo’s Pizza Shop. This very busy pizza shop is perched on Water Street and overlooks all the businesses below. Keeping with family and Orange County NY tradition is very important to the Cosimo’s and they continue to fill our stomachs with their delicious food and this pizza is no exception.
During the warmer months, the outdoor seating area is perfect to eat, while looking out at the Hudson River. Bonus, is that the outdoor seating area is also dog-friendly.
- Hudson Taco – located right next to the Pizza Shop, Hudson Taco is a housed within the historic West Shore Train Station. The station was built in 1909 but suffered a fire and was later abandoned. Now home to Hudson Taco, the train station is breathing new life into the area and is home to the best views of the Hudson River.
Hudson Taco’s unique and eclectic ambience is a also reflected in their food. From tacos to tostadas to soup and bowls, Hudson Taco has something for everyone.
- Blu Pointe – located right on the waterfront (Front St), Blu Pointe is an award-winning farm-to-table restaurant that prides itself on serving the freshest seafood. They offer weekend brunches that satisfy even the hungriest of patrons and also cater to take-out options.
- The River Grille – A popular restaurant in the community particularly for private parties, the River Grille offers a wonderful and diverse menu created by its chef and owner. Voted “Best River-View” Dining, this is a place that should be on your list of places to dine.
- Billy Joe’s Ribworks – Great food, wonderful staff and amazing ambience are just a few things that make Billy Joe’s Ribworks the place to be. Word has gotten out about this popular Orange County, NY spot and people often travel from all over to eat here.
Number 6: Stop & get some coffee at 2 Alice’s or Blacc Vanilla
Get your coffee-fix at these two popular Newburgh coffee establishments.
2 Alice’s Coffee Lounge is not an unfamiliar name in Orange County NY. This location is right on Broadway in Newburgh while their other location is in Cornwall. The decor, atmosphere and friendly staff just add to the excellence of this local business.
Blacc Vanilla located on South Street in Newburgh is the epitome of a community coffee house. Delicious coffee and exceptional service paired with fantastic, fresh food makes this place a gem and one of the things to do in Newburgh NY. Due to COVID, the hours are limited at the time of this posting.
Number 7: Shop at the Newburgh Vintage Emporium/Newburgh Vintage Emporium Ware-house
If you’re into vintage, collectibles and antique shopping then a visit to the Newburgh Vintage Emporium on Route 9W and the Vintage Ware-house on Route 17K, both in Newburgh NY. The history of this location adds to its charm and is now the go-to place for vintage decor, antique goods, custom furniture and locally made items.
The Newburgh Vintage Emporium Warehouse is the hub for over 75 dealers and 30,000 feet of showroom space.
According to their website, “Vintage furniture ranges from the early 1700’s to the mid 1970’s, with numerous vintage design room showcase setups throughout the store, a 1950’s milk delivery truck, architectural salvage pieces, an 8 ft Yetti, and a vintage clothing ‘shop in shop’ & clothing archive on-site.”
Number 8: Take the ferry from Newburgh to Beacon
Did you know that you can get to Beacon, NY without a car. Hop on the ferry and take a ride from Newburgh to Beacon. You will experience riding the ferry for the 10-minute commute to Beacon. Whether you’re taking the Metro-North train or planning to spend the day in Beacon, NY, taking the ferry will make the day even more special.
At the time of this posting, the fee to ride the ferry is $1.75 each way. Two children (under the age of 5 years) ride free with a paying adult. The ferry can be used weekdays only, typically six ferry crossings in the morning and eight ferry crossings in the afternoon.
Number 9: Learn all about the history of motorcycles at Motorcycledia
Anyone interested in motorcycles and the history of motorcycles should make a trip to the Motorcyclepedia Museum. This is one of the best family things to do in Newburgh NY. With over 85,000 square feet of exhibition space, over 600 motorcycles on display, this is a wonderful place to visit any time of the year.
Exhibits are arranged by timelines, highlighting the evolution of the motorcycle.
Number 10: Tour Bannerman Castle from Newburgh
Usually taking place during the warmer months, taking a ferry ride from Newburgh NY to Bannerman Castle is one of the best things to do in Newburgh NY.
Although these ferry rides and tours take place, unfortunately they were suspended in 2020. The ferry ride from Beacon NY was in service during 2020. If you’re interested in more information about rides to Bannerman Castle, you can view my article here.
The tour of Bannerman Castle is an experience worth the money. The history of the island itself is fascinating and the remaining structure is beautiful to look at up close (or as close as they let you go). Since the structure is not stable, it’s not possible to get close. But the view of the Hudson River from the island is outstanding.
Number 12: Experience some Newburgh festivals
In addition to Newburgh restaurants participating in Hudson Valley Restaurant Week, other notable events include:
- The New York Air Show
- Newburgh Illuminated Festival
- Newburgh Summer Film Festival
- Newburgh Latin American Festival
- Hudson Valley Vegan Food Festival
- Fall Greek Fest
- Newburgh Harvest Fest
- Newburgh Mall Carnival
Number 13: Visit a Local Farm
Although not in the city of Newburgh, the town of Newburgh is the home to Lawrence Farms Orchards, one of the best summer and fall things to do in Newburgh NY. The orchard is not only filled with apple trees, but is also home to plenty of other fruits and offers fruit-picking opportunities that everyone will enjoy.
Other produce available for picking include:
- Sweet cherries
- Sour cherries
- and so much more…
With so many great things to do in Newburgh NY, how will you pick just one or two to do??? Sometimes the best plan of action is to make an itinerary just like the ones I have here.
Tips for A Successful Visit to Newburgh NY:
- Wear comfortable shoes and clothing, especially if you plan to walk from one attraction/restaurant to another
- Check the weather the day before and right before your outing. The weather can change quickly, so make sure you’re prepared.
- Confirm details about the locations you plan to visit using the links provided in this article.
- Some of these things to do in Newburgh NY are seasonal, so check websites for more information.
Until the Next Adventure…
Check out My Etsy Shop
where you will find deals on Tees, Totes & More.