Pawsitively Easy: Your Guide to taking a Road Trip with your Dog in the Hudson Valley
Exploring the Hudson Valley with your dog is the perfect way to get out and see the beautiful sights of New York just north of New York City. From historic towns, to hiking trails, and scenic views, the Hudson Valley has something to offer the whole family—including your furry best friend! If you seek to escape the hustle and bustle of the big city, this is the perfect destination for a perfect road trip with your dog.
Whether you’re looking for a short trips like a weekend getaway or a long trips like a week-long adventure, you’ve come to the right place.
In this guide, we’ll go over some tips, recommendations and helpful resources to set you up for a successful road trip with your dog. So, grab your doggy bags, buckle up, and let’s hit the road!
This article contains an affiliate link or two. I make a small commission for purchases made through links at no extra cost to you. Read my disclosure for more info.
Planning Ahead for your Road Trip with your Dog
It’s important to be prepared before you head out to the open road. The first step in planning a successful road trip with your dog is to plan ahead. This includes creating a list of important items to bring, preparing for safety precautions, and finding pet-friendly accommodations.
This can take a bit of extra effort, but it will make your trip more enjoyable for you and your furry loved one.
Finding the right accommodation for your road trip with dog
The perfect accommodation to rest your paws is essential for a tail-wagging good time! Don’t worry, there are countless options to choose from to ensure you and your pup are comfortable along the way.
If you’re looking for a rustic camping experience, the region is home to numerous campgrounds. Camping not your thing? No worries! Hudson Valley is full of unique Airbnbs, from cozy cabins to luxury villas, there’s something for everyone.
To get started, check out these top websites for pet-friendly lodging:
● Pet-friendly Campgrounds
What to Pack for a Road Trip with your Dog
When it comes to packing for a road trip with your dog, make sure you have everything you need to keep them comfortable, safe and healthy throughout the journey to and through the Hudson Valley.
Here is a list of important things to ensure you and your canine companion have the best time possible:
- Collapsible dog travel containers for food and water
- Dog food
- Collar or dog harness; in different sizes
- leash: standard or retractable
- Dog bed and blankets
- Waste bags and refills
- Car seat
- Seat covers; for small and large dogs
- Car barrier
- Crate or carrier
- First aid kit
- Medications (if applicable)
- ID tag with your contact information
- Vaccination certificates and general health documents
Keep Your Dog Safe
Maximize your adventure and minimize stress by following these safety tips for you and your four-legged friend on the road.
- Make sure your pup is properly secured. This means using a car harness, seat belt, or travel crate. This will prevent him/her/them from getting injured in the event of an accident.
- Keep your dog on a leash when exploring new areas. This will prevent them from getting lost or injured. It’s also important to keep an eye on your dog at all times and be aware of their surroundings. Never leave your dog unattended.
- Keep an eye on the weather. Make sure to check the forecast before you head out. Be prepared for any sudden changes in weather and pack accordingly.
- Make sure your pup is up-to-date on all his/her/their vaccinations before you set out on the open road. This will ensure your dog is protected and healthy while you explore new exciting places together.
- Let your friends and family know where you’ll be headed. Be prepared for any potential emergencies. Make sure you have a plan for getting help if needed.
Great! Now that we’ve got accommodations, the right gear and dog safety covered, fasten your seatbelts and get ready for an epic adventure.
Best Activities for a Road Trip with your Dog in the Hudson Valley
The Hudson Valley offers plenty of activities for you and your pup to enjoy together. When planning your route, consider the length of your trip and your dog’s needs. Dogs need regular breaks, room to stretch their legs and to stay hydrated. Plan your rest stops accordingly and make sure to bring plenty of water and snacks (both for you and your furry friend).
Below are some of the best dog-friendly activities to do in the Hudson Valley:
Hiking Trails and Parks
The Hudson Valley is full of breathtaking hiking trails and scenic views. Whether you’re looking for a leisurely stroll or a more challenging hike, there’s something for everyone.
- Appalachian Trail: In just an hour’s drive from the bustling street of Manhattan lies a pristine 93-mile trail that is a mere stone’s throw away from city dwellers. This can be a paw-fect place to kick start your adventure. This picturesque landscape boasts wll-marked trails and promises a unique hiking experience for all to enjoy.
- Mohonk Preserve: A must-visit destination for outdoor enthusiasts looking to take their best friend on an exciting hiking adventure. This 8,000 acre nature preserve of stunning natural beauty boasts numerous hiking trails, from gentle walks to challenging hikes making it a great place to explore.
- Catskill Scenic Trail: Once a railway, this 25-mile long trail follows the scenic banks of the Delaware River and offers stunning views of the region’s mountains, forests and valleys, making it a perfect destination for nature lovers.
- Minnewaska State Park: nestled in the heart of the Shawangunk Mountains, this 22,000-acre park offers numerous hiking trails. With its breathtaking natural wonder that offers spectacular views of the surrounding landscape, cascading waterfalls and crystal-clear lakes, it’s no wonder when Minnewaska is a go-to destination for hikers.
Check out this list all about hiking in the Hudson Valley for a more in-depth guide to the best trails in this area of New York State.
Visiting farmers markets in the Hudson Valley region can be a perfect opportunity for pit stops and is an ideal way to socialize your pup. Indulge is some fresh produce, artisanal goods and delicious food.
Not only do you get to support local farmers and businesses, but is also a great way to socialize, both for you and your canine companion. Additionally, many farmers markets often have artisan craft workshops, pet-friendly vendors and other fun activities.
It’s a unique experience that can add some flavor to your road trip and create lasting memories for both you and your pup.
To find out about hours and locations, head over to this article: Popular Hudson Valley Farmers Markets You Should Know About.
The Hudson Valley is FULL of dog-friendly restaurants and cafes. It is not uncommon to see patrons with their pets enjoying food on outdoor patios throughout the Hudson Valley, especially on warm days.
These locations offer a great way to enjoy the local cuisine with your best furry pal. With a welcoming atmosphere, delicious food, scenic surroundings, you and your dog are sure to have a great time.
- Phoenicia Diner: Phoenicia Diner is a retr0style diner that offers a variety of comfort food and breakfast items. They have a lovely outdoor seating area called, “The Lot”, where dogs are welcome.
- Tip: Their milkshakes and pancakes are very popular!
- Keegan Ales: Located in Kingston, Keegan Ales is a dog-friendly brewery and pub that offers a wide selection of beers and pub food. They have a spacious outdoor seating area where you can enjoy a cold beer with your dog by your side.
- The Red Onion: Located in Woodstock, this historic restaurant offers dog-friendly outdoor seating in a beautiful garden setting. They serve delicious American cuisine and have a full bar. Your dog will love the outdoor ambiance and the treats that the staff will offer (which is always an added plus while on a road trip with your dog).
- Dogwood: Located in Beacon, as the name suggests this restaurant welcomes dogs on their outdoor patio. They serve delicious food and have a great selection of craft beers and cocktails. You’ll even be pleasantly surprised that they have a menu dedicated to your furry friend.
Wineries & Breweries Perfect for any Road Trip with your dog
Discover the BEST Dog-friendly Wineries in the Hudson Valley, where you and your furry friends can bask in the stunning views of the valley while sipping on delicious wine.
Here are a few to have on your radar for your next road trip with your dog:
- Arrowood Farms Brewery, Accord
- Baldwin Vineyards, Pine Bush
- Brimstone Hill Winery, Pine Bush
- Clear View Vineyard, Warwick
- Hudson Chatham Winery, Ghent
- Magnanini Farm Winery, Wallkill
- Millbrook Vineyards and Distillery, Millbrook
- Nostrano Vineyards, Milton
- Quartz Rock Vineyard, Marlboro
- Robibero Vineyards, New Paltz
- Stoutridge Distillery & Winery
- Tousey Winery, Germantown
- Whitecliff Vineyard and Winery
Keep in mind, some may have restricted areas for pets such as tasting rooms or seating areas. Remember, it’s always a good idea to call with plenty of time and stay up-to-date with their pet policies.
In addition to these activities, be sure to check out more dog-friendly activities in the Hudson Valley for a comprehensive list of dog-friendly activities.
Last Thoughts about taking a Road Trip with your Dog
As you hit the open road with your furry friend, you’ll discover a world of adventure and endless fun in the Hudson Valley. The region is packed with countless opportunities to bond with your pet and create lasting memories. Don’t forget to pack the right gear, ensure your pup’s safety and plan ahead. So, grab your pup’s leash and get ready for an adventure of a lifetime!
Until the Next Adventure…
Check out My Etsy Shop
where you will find deals on Tees, Totes & More.