New York Renaissance Faire Events:
How to Have the Best Day Ever!
Ever dream of being a pirate or time travel? You can do all that during the New York Renaissance Faire Events Weekends that take place during the season.
The Wonder and the Magic of the Annual New York Renaissance Faire only comes around once a year. One may say that this yearly festival is only for those children or those who love fantasy.
Although this location is open, please follow these guidelines:
– Please be safe.
– Practice social distancing, wear a mask, wash hands thoroughly and follow all mandates and recommendations of the Centers for Disease Control (cdc.gov) and NY State and local Governments.
But this by far my favorite Hudson Valley festival and is more than a festival full of magical and mystical creatures.
It’s a day of fun the whole family will love.
This Premier Medieval Festival in NY hosts thousands of visitors each and every year.
Things to Know before you go to the NY Renaissance Faire:
- The Renaissance Faire is a seasonal event and only takes place from August through the beginning of October
- Weekends only & Labor Day Monday
- The New York Renaissance Faire discount tickets can be purchased on their website.
- NY Ren Faire tickets can also be purchased at the event at the Box Office, conveniently located at the entrance
- This annual event is wonderful for both adults and children.
- The event is rain or shine
- There is a lot of walking involved, so prepare with comfy walking shoes.
- General Parking is always FREE and a shuttle bus is offered from the free parking lots to the gate
- Preferred Parking close to the front gate is available for $15
- It is a popular event and can get crowded
- Make sure to check out which New York Renaissance Faire Events are happening on your weekend of choice.
My first visit was when I was a teenager and the memory of walking onto the grounds of the festival and passing by all the ‘shops’ in the Renaissance Faire Village and the excitement of watching the Joust stayed with me.
These wonderful activities left a lasting impression and I have since visited several times and have had a wonderful day each and every time.
Here are some tips on how to have the best day ever at the New York Renaissance Faire.
Visiting the NY Renaissance Faire:
DAYS OF FAIRE:
Open Saturdays, Sundays, & Labor Day
August 15th, 2020 – October 4th, 2020
10 am – 7 pm
ADULTS: $29.95; CHILD: $13; SENIORS (62 YRS+)/MILITARY: $25.95
What is the NY Renaissance Fair?
This yearly event is a blend of food, music, performances, rides, shops and so much more…
If you thought that the NY Ren Faire was the same thing weekend-after-weekend, then you are mistaken. Every weekend, guests marvel at the different themes, activities and New York Renaissance Faire events that take place.
Check their schedule online, before you make your plans, so you can join in on all the fun during a weekend that has a theme you’d enjoy.
Here is a list of the New York Renaissance Faire Events & Theme Weekends:
- Kids’ Weekend and Teacher Appreciation
- Kids are Free!
- Children’s Costume Contest
- $5 off full-price Box Office admission for educators & school staff
- Marketplace Weekend
- Artisans’ Galore
- Annual Marketplace Master Craftsman Competition
- Marketplace Photo Hunt
- Time Traveler’s Weekend (Labor Day Weekend)
- Fantasy Saturday
- Costume Contest
- Fantasy Team Trivia
- Steampunk Sunday
- Costume Contest
- Out of Time Photo Hunt
- Mustache Contest
- Barbarian Monday
- Marketplace Parade
- Costume Contest
- Kids’ Thumb Wrestling Contest
- Fantasy Saturday
- Heroes & Villains Weekend
- $5 off for Military & First Responders
- Heroes & Villains Costume Contest
- Heroes & Villains Team Trivia
- Pirate Weekend
- Costume Contest
- Beard Contest
- Pirate Joke Contest
- Romance Weekend
- Vow Renewal Ceremony
- Great Romances of History Team Trivia
- Follow Your Heart Photo Hunt
- Masquerade Weekend
- Masquerade Ball
- Masquerade Costume Contest
- Kids’ Mask Making
- Celtic Weekend
- Best Knees in a Kilt Contest
- Limerick Contest
- Children’s Highland Games
As you can see from the list above, costume contests are a HUGE deal. Renaissance Faire Costumes are very popular.
People really go all-out when planning and dressing for the Faire and for the New York Renaissance Faire Events!
There is a wonderful sense of community when the visitors get dressed up for the occasion.
If you’d like to dress up but don’t want the expense of buying an outfit, you can always rent one there at the Belrose Costume Rental Shop (located in the Faire)
Wagon rentals are also available at the Belrose Costume Rental Shop.
Where is Renaissance Faire Held?
The Renaissance Faire is held in Sterling Forest State Park in Tuxedo, NY in Orange County, NY.
It is easily accessed from the NY State Thruway taking the exit for Harriman/Woodbury Commons and approximately 45 minutes from the George Washington Bridge.
When does the Faire take place?
The Renaissance Faire takes place only on Weekends from August to October. It is also open Labor Day Monday.
Because this annual event also falls during the local Apple-Picking season, make sure you allow plenty of extra travel time for traffic.
This is a popular event and is typically crowded. Visitors should plan for a visit of several hours (up to 4-5 hours to see & experience everything). The earlier you arrive, the less crowded it will be.
Advance Tickets are good for any day the Faire is open during that season.
Members of the Military and Seniors (62+ yrs) receive $4 off a full-price ticket.
Things to do at the NY Renaissance Faire
Roselawn Tournament Field
- Royal Joust
- Joust to the Death
Stages, Stages and more Stages
Take in several shows ranging from magic to sword throwing…
- Fools Stage
- Fortune Stage
- Music Pavilion
- Pageant Wagon Stage
- Peacock Pavilion
- Sherwood Forest Stage
- Storybook Stage
- Teatro Del Sol Stage
- Tudor Rose Stage
Take a walk on Robin Hood’s Bridge and kiss a loved one
Meet the fairies around the grounds
Shop for items:
- Made by talented artisans (soaps, hats, wooden shields, jewelry, candles, and more…)
Games & Rides
(There is an additional charge for rides and games)
- Human-powered rides (Sea Dragon Swing, The Pirate’s Fleet, etc.)
- Games of Skills (Chinese Crossbow, Axe Throwing, Test of Strength, etc)
- Camel Rides
- Living Chess Match
- Royal Chess Match
Have a great time watching:
- Village Maypole Dances
Food and Drinks
(For an additional charge)
- Boar’s Den
- Cantina Quixote
- and more…
Essential Tips for an Amazing visit to the NY Renaissance Faire and for an epic time at the New York Renaissance Faire Events
ESSENTIALS TO TAKE WITH YOU:
– Depending on the weather, sunblock and also a hat will be necessary. Many areas of the Faire are not shaded, particularly Roselawn Tournament Field (where the Joust takes place).
The New York Renaissance Faire is located at Sterling Forest in Tuxedo, NY.
Visitors should plan for a visit of several hours.
For current hours of admission, pricing and information, please check their website.
- BEAR MOUNTAIN STATE PARK & ACTIVITIES
- GUIDE TO ORANGE COUNTY, NY: ALL YOU NEED TO KNOW
- THINGS TO DO IN ROCKLAND COUNTY, NY
- PALISADES MALL: HAVE AN EPIC DAY OF FUN!