This Millbrook Zoo is a Hidden Gem in Dutchess County, NY
One thing the world needs more of is safe places for our animals to grow and flourish. With so many things happening in the world, there should be more places like Trevor Zoo. This Millbrook Zoo is unique in so many ways.
It’s hard to believe that this Millbrook zoo is the only zoo in the country located at a high school.
You would think that other schools would follow this model. Although I know there are ‘veterinary-type’ programs offered at high schools, this is unique because it allows students to care for and learn about animals in a more natural setting.
Children of all ages generally have a desire to care for animals and having animals in close proximity to children will grow their curiosity and desire to help them.
This article contains an affiliate link or two. I make a small commission for purchases made through links at no extra cost to you. Read my disclosure for more info.
Open 365 days a year, including all holidays.
Hours: 10 am – 5 pm By RESERVATION ONLY (Made online)
ADMISSION: (as of the date of this published post)
Adults $6; Kids (ages 4yrs – 13yrs) $4; Seniors (65+) $4; Children (3yrs and under) Free
Visiting Trevor Zoo:
Things to Know Before your Visit to this Millbrook Zoo:
- Trevor Zoo is open year-round, including holidays.
- They will close, though, during inclement winter weather, for the safety of the visitors.
- There is free parking on site.
- Your visit to the zoo begins at the Welcome Center.
- The zoo is small in comparison to other zoos in NY (see below), but that does not take away from its beauty, uniqueness and its charm. If you’re looking to spend a great afternoon without the craziness of the city, then this is the place to go to.
- You must make a reservation online to visit the zoo
Where is Trevor Zoo located?
This zoo is located in Millbrook, NY in Dutchess County, NY.
For reference, it is approximately 40 min North-East from the Mid-Hudson Bridge in Poughkeepsie, NY.
Although located off of a frequently traveled road (Route 44), it is not off of a major highway and cannot be seen directly from the road. When traveling to the zoo, be aware of the sign on the road. If not, you may miss it.
Located between the village of Millbrook and the town of Amenia, the drive to this Millbrook Zoo is picturesque.
282 Millbrook School Road
Millbrook, NY 12545
How to get to Trevor Zoo
Located off of Route 44, in the village of Millbrook, Trevor Zoo is only accessible by car.
There is no public transportation available to the zoo.
What makes this Millbrook Zoo so special?
Students taking several science classes such as Environmental Science and Animal Behavior participate in extensive work at the school-run zoo. For example, the focus is placed on sustainability within the Environmental Science class.
The zoo has more than 100 individual animals that are part of 80 species.
The Trevor Zoo also plays an important role in caring for several species that are endangered. They take great pride in being home to 8 endangered species.
This is an incredible feat.
This special Millbrook Zoo operates a veterinary clinic and is sprawled over 6 acres of land and did I tell you that it is open year-round, including holidays.
This is what we saw & did during our visit to this great Millbrook Zoo
It was a wonderfully warm August afternoon when we decided to get into the car and take a ride to the Trevor Zoo in Millbrook.
This Millbrook Zoo in inviting and its facilities are set amongst the lush landscape.
We laughed and giggled as we walked from the parking lot across the curved bridge and walked along the walkway parallel to the stream.
Out of all the animals that call Trevor Zoo their home, my children were most excited to see:
- the red panda
- the alpacas
- and the lemurs
Little did they know that so many more animals would be available and be so interesting to see. Because the animals weren’t what we typically have seen in other zoos, my children were extremely interested and lots of wonderful conversations were had.
Trevor Zoo compared to other Zoos
Compared to other zoos in the area, Trevor Zoo is small. Although being small, this lends to the ability to get up close to the animals there.
Just like the Central Park Zoo, the Trevor Zoo is not an overwhelming space and can be visited in its entirety in one afternoon.
In addition, Trevor Zoo houses:
- more than 150 exotic animals and indigenous animals
- with 80 different species
Other zoos in the area, such as the Trailside Museums & Zoo at Bear Mountain State Park are also small and emphasize other specializations.
At the Trailside Museums & Zoo houses animals that are not able to live on their own in the wild. These animals are either being rehabilitated due to injury or animals that were orphaned before they could survive on their own.
Now, the most famous of all is the Bronx Zoo, but that cannot compare to the quiet, peaceful ambiance of Trevor Zoo. If it’s small and quiet you are looking for then this is the place you should visit.
THINGS TO DO NEAR TREVOR ZOO
- A LOCAL’S GUIDE TO DUTCHESS COUNTY, NY
- A VISIT TO INNISFREE GARDEN IS LIKE NO OTHER IN DUTCHESS COUNTY
282 Millbrook School Road
Millbrook, NY 12545
Visitors should plan for a visit of a few hours (looking at the animals & reading the information signs and plaques)
For current hours of admission, pricing and information, please check out their website.
Tips for an Amazing Visit to Trevor Zoo:
- Wear comfortable shoes. Although the zoo is small, there is a trail to follow and if your children are like mine, they wanted to loop around several times.
- There are plenty of benches where you may enjoy a packed lunch.
- Bring a refillable water bottle. There are filling stations available at the zoo.
- Ask the staff questions.
- Our experience was that the students and staff were very eager to speak with us and answer questions about the animals.
- Best time to enjoy the Trevor Zoo, in my opinion, is the Spring. There will be lots of babies to see!
- There is a lot of shade at the zoo, but it is always a good idea to bring a hat and sunblock on sunnier days.
Until the Next Adventure…
Check out My Etsy Shop
where you will find deals on Tees, Totes & More.