Magazzino Art Museum:
One of the Best Things to See in
Cold Spring NY
If you’re a culture vulture like me, then you are probably always looking for a new place to see art. Have you heard of Magazzino Italian Art? A leader in the exhibition and research of Italian art, a visit to the Magazzino art museum is worth a trip from anywhere.
Although some of these locations are open to the public, please follow these guidelines:
Please be safe.
Practice social distancing, wear a mask, wash hands thoroughly and follow all mandates and recommendations of the Centers for Disease Control (cdc.gov) and NY State and local Governments.
At the time of this posting, the Magazzino art museum is requiring a reservation in order to pay a visit to this Cold Spring Museum.
Let’s take a look at this hidden gem of art museums.
Monday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday & Sunday
Hours: 11am – 5pm
Free (Donations are kindly suggested)
Why is Magazzino so important in the Hudson Valley?
Before I get into what the Magazzino art museum is, it’s so important to note why this is such an essential part of in the Hudson Valley.
The History of the Magazzino Art Museum
Founded in 2017 by husband and wife collectors, Nancy Olnick & Giorgio Spanu, Magazzino was established as a place to hold their personal collection and allow others to enjoy the beauty that they enjoyed in Italian Art.
Their mutual love of all things in the Italian art world created a significant collection. Throughout their travels, they gathered and curated a massive and impressive collection of Post-War Italian Art.
After their more than 30 years collecting and enjoying their amazing works of art, they had hoped to construct a space on their estate but later decided to relocate the works of art to the space on Route 9 in Cold Spring. And this is where the Magazzino art museum came to life.
Things to know before your visit to the Magazzino Art Museum:
- It is NOT open 7 days a week, only from Thursday through Monday, so plan accordingly.
- There is limited parking at the facility. Although the parking is free, be mindful that you may have to wait for a spot.
- Indoor visiting hours are strictly limited to 90 minutes. Arrive on time to have plenty of time to explore all the galleries.
- You may remain on the property after your indoor visit is completed. They have a lovely garden and shaded area with seats.
Changes to the Visiting Experience during the Pandemic:
- Advance reservations are required. Tickets continue to be FREE but a time slot must be reserved before your visit.
- Reservations are limited to 6 guests. They cannot accommodate large groups at this time.
- As previously mentioned, the indoor visit is limited to 90 minutes.
- A social distance buzzer is given upon entry and must be worn at all times during the indoor visit. (See below)
- Masks must also be worn at all times.
- Guided visits and tours have been suspended. The visits re only self-guided.
What is the Magazzino Art Museum?
Magazzino means “warehouse” in Italian, and this wonderful space boasts both indoor exhibits and has a serene outdoor space everyone can enjoy.
Since opening in 2017, Magazzino Italian Art has been a haven for those interested in Italian art both past and present.
Since re-opening during the COVID-19 Pandemic, the wonderful Magazzino art museum is the first in the Hudson Valley to incorporate newer technology to ensure the safety of their visitors.
Where is the Magazzino Art Museum located?
Before I get into all the information about visiting Magazzino Italian Art, you’re going to have some questions about where it is.
Tucked away in Cold Spring, NY off of Route 9, Magazzino Italian Art is easily enjoyed in one afternoon.
Cold Spring, NY is a Hudson River town located in Putnam County, NY.
Very Close to Clarence Fahnestock State Park, Stonecrop Gardens, and the town of Cold Spring, NY itself, the Magazzino art museum is easily accessible by car.
The Best Things to do in Cold Spring NY
Check this article all about Fun & Interesting things to do in Cold Spring NY that you may not have known about to plan the rest of your day in Cold Spring NY. This article details things to see & do, as well as, places to eat in this great village in Putnam County NY.
2700 Route 9
Cold Spring, NY 10516
Visiting Magazzino Italian Art:
Planning Your Afternoon at the Magazzino Art Museum
The Magazzino art museum has become the pioneer in technology and social distancing during a time when many people feel uneasy exploring the Hudson Valley, let alone enjoying an afternoon at an art museum.
A one-time use lanyard is worn around your neck and buzzes if you come within six feet of another guest.
It helps make you very aware of your surroundings and those near you while visiting the museum and while enjoying the art displayed there.
I felt safer visiting Magazzino Italian Art than visiting my local supermarket and/or my local Walmart.
Entering the Museum:
- Upon arrival and parking your car, you will be greeted at the entrance by an outside security guard.
- The guard checks your reservation and then proceeds to check your temperature with a contact-free thermometer.
- Upon checking in to the Magazzino art museum, you will receive an “EGOpro” device. It is wrapped in plastic and you are also given a one-time use lanyard that is yours to keep.
- This device is very similar to the device you get when you arrive to eat at a full restaurant and you need to wait for a table. The kind of device that buzzes when your table is ready.
- The device will ‘buzz’ when you come within 6 feet of another guest.
During the Visit:
- Upon entering the galleries, you must wear a mask at all times and remain 6 feet from others that are not in your immediate party.
- Markers on the floor instruct visitors where to go within the museum and where to stand if you have the need to use the restroom.
- There is access to information regarding the exhibits on your phone. The museum offers complimentary WIFI for this purpose.
Why is the EGOpro technology so important?
Magazzino is the only museum that I know of that uses this technology. It is innovative and smart and is an example of how other facilities in the Hudson Valley can guarantee some safety to their guests.
I visited Magazzino Italian Art on a Thursday, found that it was not crowded and, because of that, my EGOpro device did not buzz at all. But I can see how this device is extremely useful when visiting the Magazzino art museum on the weekend.
What I saw and Photographed at Magazzino Italian Art
During my visit, I was able to see and fully admire everything at the museum.
Don’t get me wrong…
I DID NOT do the audio part on my phone offered by the museum. I, personally, am an admirer of art. I’m not there to listen, but to see. I’m very visual and take it all by observing. I don’t do well listening and looking.
But if you’re a ‘listener’, then you will need the FULL 90-minutes they offer for each museum visit. There are a lot of mesmerizing pieces to look at and learn about.
The special exhibit, “Homemade Exhibit” was there during my visit in August 2020. This exhibits showcases beautiful work by 8 New York Italian Artists while living in quarantine in NYC.
It is so interesting to see what people created while living through a quarantine.
Explore the Outdoor Space
In addition to the indoor museum, Magazzino Italian Art has a wonderful outdoor space.
This space is enjoyed my many after their visit to the galleries, but it can also be enjoyed before.
Essential Gear Recommended For your iPhoneography Needs:
Clicks the links below to see the items I use when taking photos with my iPhone.
- Washable Face Masks – If you want to enjoy an outing in the Hudson Valley, make sure to stay safe with the washable face masks. These are the ones that I personally use and can breathe well from.
- KN95 Face Masks – These are the masks for recently recommended to stay safe during the COVID-19 Pandemic.
- Power Bank for your phone – While out walking all day and taking photos, I use this power bank to make sure that I will not run out of battery on my phone.
- Microfiber Cleaning Cloths – These are the cloths I always have handy to clean everything from my iPhone lens, iPhone display and my own glasses.
- Small Backpack Hand Bag – This small backpack is great for exploring the Hudson Valley because it leaves your hands free to take photos and move around without a purse falling off of your shoulders.
Tips for A Successful Visit to the Magazzino Art Museum:
- Wear comfortable shoes and clothing
- If you can, plan a visit during the week, as I am sure it gets busy on the weekends.
- Make sure to make your reservation before your visit and be ON TIME. According to their website, they will not admit guests who arrive 15 minutes after their scheduled appointments.
- Give yourself enough time to sit outside (weather permitting). Although this Cold Spring Museum is directly off of Route 9, it doesn’t feel like it at all.
MAGAZZINO ITALIAN ART
2700 Route 9
Cold Spring, NY 10516
Readers’ Favorite Articles
Shop My Must-Have Resources
Use the buttons below to buy my popular resources, created with you in mind.
Where to Next????
Now that you have learned all about Magazzino Italian Art in Cold Spring, let’s see where you should go next…
Until the Next Adventure…
BEST POSTS & RESOURCES
The Perfect Resources for you
PIN IT FOR LATER!