Magazzino Art Museum:
One of the Best Things to See in
Cold Spring NY
If you’re a culture vulture like me, then you are probably always looking for a new place to see art. Have you heard of Magazzino Italian Art? A leader in the exhibition and research of Italian art, a visit to the Magazzino art museum is worth a trip from anywhere.
At the time of this posting, the Magazzino art museum is requiring a reservation in order to pay a visit to this Cold Spring Museum.
Let’s take a look at this hidden gem of art museums.
This article contains affiliate links. I make a small commissions for purchases made through links at no extra cost to you. Read my disclosure for more info.
Click below to see some items I always have during my Hudson Valley Outings:
- Because ‘you never know’ when an accident happens, you need a small, portable First Aid Kit from Amazon, like this product in your life. This is a great buy for under $15
- If you’re going to be out all day exploring, you never REALLY know what the weather will be like. Even if you think you do know, it can start raining at any time, so this small life-saver is an essential item. This is another great buy on Amazon for under $15.
Why is Magazzino so important in the Hudson Valley?
Before I get into what the Magazzino art museum is, it’s so important to note why this is such an essential part of in the Hudson Valley.
The History of the Magazzino Art Museum
Founded in 2017 by husband and wife collectors, Nancy Olnick & Giorgio Spanu, Magazzino was established as a place to hold their personal collection and allow others to enjoy the beauty that they enjoyed in Italian Art.
Their mutual love of all things in the Italian art world created a significant collection. Throughout their travels, they gathered and curated a massive and impressive collection of Post-War Italian Art.
After their more than 30 years collecting and enjoying their amazing works of art, they had hoped to construct a space on their estate but later decided to relocate the works of art to the space on Route 9 in Cold Spring. And this is where the Magazzino art museum came to life.
Things to Know Before your visit to the Magazzino Art Museum:
- It is NOT open 7 days a week, only Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday, so plan accordingly.
- There is limited parking at the facility. Although the parking is free, be mindful that you may have to wait for a spot.
- Indoor visiting hours are strictly limited to 90 minutes. Arrive on time to have plenty of time to explore all the galleries.
- You may remain on the property after your indoor visit is completed. They have a lovely garden and shaded area with seats.
Additional information regarding visits:
- Advance reservations are required. Tickets continue to be FREE but a time slot must be reserved before your visit.
- Reservations are limited to 6 guests. They cannot accommodate large groups at this time.
- As previously mentioned, the indoor visit is limited to 90 minutes.
- Proof of vaccination is required
- Masks must also be worn at all times.
- Guided visits and tours have been suspended. The visits are only self-guided.
What is the Magazzino Art Museum?
Magazzino means “warehouse” in Italian, and this wonderful space boasts both indoor exhibits and has a serene outdoor space everyone can enjoy.
Since opening in 2017, Magazzino Italian Art has been a haven for those interested in Italian art both past and present.
Since re-opening during the COVID-19 Pandemic, the wonderful Magazzino art museum is the first in the Hudson Valley to incorporate newer technology to ensure the safety of their visitors.
Where is the Magazzino Art Museum located?
Before I get into all the information about visiting Magazzino Italian Art, you’re going to have some questions about where it is.
Tucked away in Cold Spring, NY off of Route 9, Magazzino Italian Art is easily enjoyed in one afternoon.
Cold Spring, NY is a Hudson River town located in Putnam County, NY.
Very Close to Clarence Fahnestock State Park, Stonecrop Gardens, and the town of Cold Spring, NY itself, the Magazzino art museum is easily accessible by car.
These stylish t-shirts are perfect for any outing in the Hudson Valley
Putnam County NY T-shirt
Adventure #HudsonValleyLife T-shirt
The Best Things to Do in Cold Spring NY
Check this article all about Fun & Interesting things to do in Cold Spring NY that you may not have known about to plan the rest of your day in Cold Spring NY. This article details things to see & do, as well as, places to eat in this great village in Putnam County NY.
2700 Route 9
Cold Spring, NY 10516
Visiting Magazzino Italian Art:
Monday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday & Sunday
Hours: 11am – 5pm
Free (Donations are kindly suggested)
Planning Your Afternoon at the Magazzino Art Museum
The Magazzino art museum requires proof of vaccination, masks and social distancing during your visit. This offers a sense of safety during a time when many people feel uneasy exploring the Hudson Valley, let alone enjoying an afternoon at an art museum.
I felt safer visiting Magazzino Italian Art than visiting my local supermarket and/or my local Walmart.
Entering the Museum:
- Upon arrival and parking your car, you will be greeted at the entrance by an outside security guard.
- The guard checks your reservation and then proceeds to check your temperature with a contact-free thermometer.
During the Visit:
- Upon entering the galleries, you must wear a mask at all times and remain 6 feet from others that are not in your immediate party.
- Markers on the floor instruct visitors where to go within the museum and where to stand if you have the need to use the restroom.
- There is access to information regarding the exhibits through scanning a code box using your your phone. The museum offers complimentary WIFI for this purpose.
What I saw and Photographed at Magazzino Italian Art
During my visit, I was able to see and fully admire everything at the museum.
Don’t get me wrong…
I DID NOT do the audio part on my phone offered by the museum. I, personally, am an admirer of art. I’m not there to listen, but to see. I’m very visual and take it all by observing. I don’t do well listening and looking.
But if you’re a ‘listener’, then you will need the FULL 90-minutes they offer for each museum visit. There are a lot of mesmerizing pieces to look at and learn about.
The special exhibit, “Homemade Exhibit” was there during my visit in August 2020. This exhibits showcases beautiful work by 8 New York Italian Artists while living in quarantine in NYC.
It is so interesting to see what people created while living through a quarantine.
Explore the Outdoor Space
In addition to the indoor museum, Magazzino Italian Art has a wonderful outdoor space.
This space is enjoyed my many after their visit to the galleries, but it can also be enjoyed before.
More Things to do Near this Cold Spring Museum:
- See what it’s like to visit to Chuang Yen Monastery during Spring
- What to see & do in Cold Spring, NY
- 20+ of the Best places to hike in the Hudson Valley
Tips for A Successful Visit to the Magazzino Art Museum:
- Wear comfortable shoes and clothing
- If you can, plan a visit during the week, as I am sure it gets busy on the weekends.
- Make sure to make your reservation before your visit and be ON TIME. According to their website, they will not admit guests who arrive 15 minutes after their scheduled appointments.
- Give yourself enough time to sit outside (weather permitting). Although this Cold Spring Museum is directly off of Route 9, it doesn’t feel like it at all.
MAGAZZINO ITALIAN ART
2700 Route 9
Cold Spring, NY 10516
Until the Next Adventure…
Jackie is one of the top bloggers in the Hudson Valley. She has been featured (along with some of her photos) in several local and national publications. Read Jackie’s crazy story, “From a Naive NYC Girl to Popular Hudson Valley Blogger & Author“. Feel free to send Jackie a message here.