17+ Great Hudson Valley Distilleries to Check out for Libations
The Hudson Valley Distilleries of today can only be defined as trendy and rapidly growing. Distilleries, like Denning’s Point, that were founded in an up and coming city and were boot-strapped by ambition and a love of spirits are starting to take over the distillery world.
Visiting Hudson Valley Distilleries is an experience like no other, Unlike wineries, which focus on New York grapes, distilleries use so many ingredients and techniques, that it’s no wonder they are so popular in this area.
In this article, I will showcase Hudson Valley Distilleries that are popular and can be visited any time of the year.
This article contains an affiliate link or two. I make a small commission for purchases made through links at no extra cost to you. Read my disclosure for more info.
- What are Hudson Valley Distilleries?
- 17+ Popular Hudson Valley Distilleries well worth a visit
- Albany Distilling Company, Albany
- Black Dirt Distillery, Warwick
- Cooper's Daughter Spirits, Claverack
- Coppersea Distilling, New Paltz
- Current Spirits, Elmsford
- Denning's Point Distillery, Beacon
- Dutch's Spirits, Pine Plains
- Harvest Spirits, Valatie
- Hillrock Estate Distillery, Ancram
- Hudson House and Distillery, West Park
- Hudson Valley Distillers, Germantown
- Orange County Distillery, Goshen
- Spirits Lab, Newburgh
- Stoutridge Distillery and Winery, Marlboro
- Taconic Distillery, Stanfordville
- Tenmile Distillery, Wassaic
- Tuthilltown Spirits Distillery, Gardiner
- Vale Fox Distillery, Poughkeepsie
- Tips for having the best time at Hudson Valley Distilleries:
What are Hudson Valley Distilleries?
Some of these Hudson Valley distilleries are located in whet is known as the ‘Black Dirt Region’ of New York. The Black Dirt Region takes its name from the dark, extremely fertile sapric soil left over from an ancient glacial lake bottom augmented by decades of past flooding of the Wallkill River. This rich soil is perfect for growing certain crops and has been designated the official soil of New York State. Now, using ingredients sourced directly from the Black Dirt region, these entrepreneurs are creating some of the most vibrant spirits to emerge on the market in generations.
Distilleries are factories that produces strong alcoholic drinks by the process of distilling. Hudson Valley distilleries create whiskies, bourbon, gin, vodka and applejack. These products are versatile as they can be enjoyed straight, on the rocks or in mixed cocktails.
17+ Popular Hudson Valley Distilleries well worth a visit
Albany Distilling Company, Albany
Founded in 2011, Albany Distilling Company offers small-batch spirits using 18th century recipes and a love for the craft. With a resume of delicious spirits featuring a 1st place winner at the American Craft Distillers for their Ironweed Bourbon Whiskey, Ironweed Rye Whiskey, Ironweed Straight Malt Whiskey, they also offer Quackenbush Amber Rum, Quackenbush Still House Rum and ALB Vodka. In addition, they have a Vodka with Coffee called, Awakened Spirit, an Orange Flavored Vodka called, “Fort Orange” and their ALB Pride Vodka. Their Bar & Bottle Shop is open from Tuesday through Saturday and Distiller Tours are conducted by appointment.
Black Dirt Distillery, Warwick
Located in Orange County and formed in 2012 Black Dirt Distillery was created from a demand of craft spirits. Their facility can now produce up to 60 barrels of whiskey or apple jack every week. Their tasting room is actually located at the Warwick Valley Winery. This craft distillery produces their signature Black Dirt Bourbon (aged for 4 years), Black Dirt Rye (aged for 3 years), Black Dirt Apple Brandy (aged minimum of 4 years), and Black Dirt single barrel Bourbon.
What makes this distillery so special is that they carry the local tradition of Adirondack applejack making. This is an American original, especially before the times of Prohibition.
Cooper’s Daughter Spirits, Claverack
This woman-owned and family operated distillery, Cooper’s Daughter Spirits is special because they offer seasonal Black Walnut Bourbon, Ramp Vodka, Rhubarb and Honey Vodka, Rose Liqueur, Thai Basil Liqueur, Raspberry and Black Pepper Liqueur, Mulled Peach Whiskey, Finocchietto Amaro, Black Walnut Liqueur, Buddha’s Hand Citron Vodka, Pumpkin Spice Vodka, and Black Currant Liqueur.
Their Smoked Maple Syrup Bourbon, Cocoa Maple Vodka, and Diamond Street Vodka are available year-round.
Coppersea Distilling, New Paltz
Located in New Paltz, Coppersea Distilling is a wonderful place for tours and tastings. Christopher Briar, head distiller, is a co-founder of the Empire Rye Whiskey Association and a founding board member of the New York State Distiller Guild. If those credentials are not impressive, then their spirits are a clear Hudson Valley winner. These include: Empire Straight Rye, Bonticou Crag Straight Rye Malt Whisky, Excelsior Straight Bourbon, Bonticou Crag Bottled-in-Bound Rye Malt Whisky, Excelsior Bottled In-Bond Straight Bourbon, Big Angus Green Malt Whisky and so much more…
By using Heritage Methods Distilling they can preserve the art of hand-crafted distilling with the best raw materials. Open year round, they great whiskey can be enjoyed during the cold winter months, hot summer days and lovely fall afternoons.
Current Spirits, Elmsford
Located in Westchester County and the closest distillery to New York City, Current Spirits has a tasting room that is open Saturday and Sunday.
Their selection of bottle spirits include:
- Vodka: 80 Proof and makes a great base for any cocktail
- Gin: 90 Proof with hints of citrus
- Barrel-Rested Gin: 90 Proof aged in wheat whiskey barrels
- Straight Bourbon Whiskey: 90 Proof with butterscotch, oak, vanilla and char
- Straight Rye Whiskey: 90 Proof with hints of cinnamon, leather and tobacco
- Single Malt Whiskey: 111.4 Proof that is savory and a bold malt profile
- Single Barrel Bourbon: 95 Proof with a notes of vanilla, toasted oak and caramel
- Barrel-Strength Bourbon: 120.3 Proof a flavor profile that includes oak, dried stone fruit and nutmeg
- Master Blend Bourbon: 95 Proof that is complex with flavors that include dried fruit, raisin and caramel
- Olorso Bourbon: 95 Proof with hints of dried fruit, caramel and oak
- Amontillado Bourbon: 95 Proof with flavors of honey and caramel
- Pedro Ximenez Bourbon: 95 Proof with flavors of dark raspberry and chocolate
- Grappa: 90 Proof distilled in the traditional Italian Style with the skins of fresh pressed red grapes and wine.
Denning’s Point Distillery, Beacon
The first time I visited Denning’s Point Distillery, this little distillery captured my heart. Although not a farm distillery, this wonderful place uses the finest locally grown grains and fruit, which is a plus. Their approachable line of spirits include:
- Beacon Bourbon: Straight Bourbon Whiskey, Cask Strength, Single Barrel and 116 Proof
- Beacon Bourbon Ultra Premium: 100 Proof Award winning small batch bourbon whiskey
- Maid of the Meadow: Vodka with herbs and honey, 80 Proof, Hand bottled in Small Batches
- Beacon Apple Brandy: Using New York and Hudson Valley apples, with notes of toffee, ginger and cinnamon, 80 Proof
- Great 9 Gin: A blend of nine perfect botanicals and a true Hudson Valley gin, 80 Proof
- Viskill Vodka: Distilled from NY State Wheat, 80 Proof
- Beacon Coffee Bourbon: Bourbon Whiskey with cold brew coffee, 65 Proof
Tasting and Signature Cocktails can be had at Denning’s Point Distillery. Their various whiskeys and other products highlight raw material from our very own Hudson Valley and this shows through the numerous wins at the San Francisco World Spirits Competition.
Want to find out more about this Hudson Valley Distillery?
Reference my article all about my visit to Denning’s Point Distillery.
Dutch’s Spirits, Pine Plains
Located on Ryan Road in Pine Plains, Dutch’s Spirits has an extensive tasting room consists of a cocktail bar offering specialty cocktails, beer, cider, wine and non-alcoholic drinks. Several specialty drinks use Dutch’s Sugar Wash and Shine and include cherry juice, lemon juice and more to create an experience you will not soon forget. In addition to their wonderful drinks, they also offer small bites, such as marinated olives, candied nuts, pork belly bites, patatas bravas and various flatbreads.
Harvest Spirits, Valatie
Located on Golden Harvest Farm, this small but mighty distillery offers more than meets the eye. Harvest Spirits was established to make use of the surplus of apples and also to support local farms by buying local ingredients for their products. In addition to their signature spirits, they also create an impressive selection of apple cider vinegar made with all natural ingredients.
- Core Vodka
- Core Gin
- Cornelius Applejack
- John Henry Single Malt Whiskey
- Core Black Raspberry Flavored Vodka
- Rare Pear Brandy
- Cornelius Peach Brandy
- Cornelius Cherry Brandy
- Good Ol’ Apple Vinegar
- Balsamic Apple Vinegar
- Fire Apple Vinegar
- Pure Maple Vinegar
- Black Raspberry Vinegar
- Pure Peach Vinegar
Hillrock Estate Distillery, Ancram
Located on Poole Hill Road, Hillrock Estate Distillery creates the finest hand-crafted spirits made with their own ingredients in copper stills, aged in oak barrels, and hand bottled at the estate. Their select whiskey’s showcase the love of this art form and are top-notch in the industry.
Their selection includes: Solera Aged Bourbon Whiskey, Single Malt Whiskey and Double Cask Rye Whiskey. This is one of the only Hudson Valley Distilleries that keeps their product selection minimal in order to provide an exceptional product. This can be seen in their impressive list of awards that can be found on their website. If you can’t make it to the distillery for a tour and tasting, their products can be found in many retail spaces around the United States.
Hudson House and Distillery, West Park
Across from Red Maple Vineyard, creator of Hudson Valley Wine, is The Hudson House and Distillery, an impressive farm distillery situated on a magnificent estate. Because they are situated on Route 9W in West Park, this is one of the Hudson Valley Distilleries that also offers grand views of the Hudson River in addition to a wonderful experience.
There are several tasting rooms throughout the manor where you can enjoy their limited batch Black Creek Bourbon and Rye Whiskey, as well as, the Hudson House wine and beer. This is one of the most unique Hudson Valley distilleries as their distillery is located in the cellar of a former monastery and tours of the space can be arranged. Be prepared to be wowed with a visit to the Hudson House and Distillery.
Hudson Valley Distillers, Germantown
Founder and Co-owners, Chris Moyer and Thomas Yozzo, fraternity brothers from Bloomsburg University are the foundation of Hudson Valley Distillers. After Thomas retired from law enforcement he and Chris set out to create a business. More than just one of the farm distilleries in the area, they offer cocktails, tastings, and tours on their 12 acre farm. Currently offering Vodka and Applejack made from local apples and white whiskey, their spirits are hand-distilled using organic ingredients. They also make a clear mountain gin that is a soft, mellow gin with hints of citrus and includes Hudson Valley cucumbers and staghorn sumac.
- Their Applejack is an American Original, distilled from Hudson Valley apples and aged in white oak barrels. It has a crisp finish with a hint of cinnamon. This Applejack has been a double gold winner and the Hudson Valley Wine & Food Fest
- Their Fellows Gin is a new world gin with a fresh take on a classic spirit made from NY grapes and botanicals, such as orange peel, lavender and organic cucumber.
- Their newest addition is the Red Hook Rye Whiskey, a naturally spicy rye with a smooth disposition.
- Their Three Cedars Vodka is “born from good roots” and is smooth enough to sip on its own and perfect for any cocktail.
Because of their popularity, you can order their spirits online. At the time of this posting, their Bourbon Whiskey was sold out. Their tasting room is always brimming with excitement, as they offer wine, beer and cider and tours are available upon request. Enjoy a cocktail and a tasting in the Cocktail Grove or take a tour and learn how they make their award winning spirits. They are one of the Hudson Valley Distilleries that are both kid and dog-friendly.
Orange County Distillery, Goshen
Although the distillery itself is not open to the public, you can enjoy their products at their cocktail and craft beer bar in New Hampton. Orange County Distillery is a farm to bottle craft distillery that grows everything on their farm. The complete operations take place within their 7,000 square foot barn. John Gleboci and Bryan Ensall take their time to create the best product possible. Open to the public, cocktails, beer, wine, cider, food truck and live music on the weekends.
Spirits Lab, Newburgh
Located on Ann Street in Newburgh, Spirits Lab is the newest craft distillery in our region. Being near the Newburgh Waterfront is a plus, but being in the historic district is even cooler. Their small batch craft spirits and premium bottle cocktails are named after New York iconic places. Their selection include: Bulls Head Bourbon, Five Points Rye, Spirits Lab Vodka, Spirits Lab East End Gin, Blood Orange Old Fashioned, and Cuca Fresca Cachaca. Visit their tasting room and sample their products.
Stoutridge Distillery and Winery, Marlboro
A visit to Stoutridge Distillery and Winery should be high on your list of Hudson Valley Distilleries. The land this great distillery is on was known to have vineyards dating back to colonial times. By 2006, they opened their doors to their winery and by 2017 they opened the doors to the distillery. Their spirits includes Vodkas, Gins, Whiskies, Bourbons, Brandies, Mastics, Absinthes, Orange Liqueurs, Bitters, and Other Liqueurs. Stoutridge is ONE of EIGHT distilleries in America to do its own malting. Tasting and Tours do need a reservation and include private tasting with the distiller.
Taconic Distillery, Stanfordville
Made with New York grains and natural spring water from their farm, Taconic Distillery has refined the art of making spirits ideal for simple sipping. Their process includes aging in cycles and their whiskey is distilled at below 160 proof to retain more of the flavor from the grains.
Their spirits include:
- Dutchess Private Preserve: Straight Bourbon Whiskey
- Barrel Strength Bourbon Whiskey
- Founder’s Rye Whiskey
- Barrel Strength Rye Whiskey
- Double Barrel Maple Bourbon Whiskey
Their cozy tasting room is open on Saturdays and they do not currently offer tours. In addition to spirit tasting, they also offer beer, wine and soft drinks. The beauty of the land can be enjoyed here on their patio with lawn games and a fire pit. Although their do not offer food, they are one of the only Hudson Valley Distilleries to allow you to bring in and take out food.
Tenmile Distillery, Wassaic
Tenmile Distillery enjoys making handmade, small-batch single malt whisky, gin and vodka. Open Wednesday through Sunday, you can take a tour, have a tasting and enjoy the this beautiful region of this magnificently renovated dairy barn on 70 acres. Their selection includes: an American Single Malt Whisky, Listening Rock Gin, and Sinpatch Vodka. Their Passion and Craftmanship show through and through in what they do.
Tuthilltown Spirits Distillery, Gardiner
Located on Grist Mill Lane in Gardiner, Hudson Whiskey NY is owned by 5th generation Scottish family distillers. Their over 30 acre farm at the foot of the Shawangunk Mountains is where the magic happens. They are one of the only Hudson Valley distilleries that offer cocktail workshops. Their visitor center is a mix of shop, tasting room and cocktail bar. With a restaurant coming soon, this will be a complete destination to try their special spirits.
Paying homage to the close proximity to New York City, their “Bright Lights, Big Bourbon”: New York Straight Bourbon Whiskey showcases rich vanilla and lightly salted caramel flavors, “Do the Rye Thing”: New York Straight Rye Whiskey has a bold and spicy rye with hints of citrus and honey, “Short Stack”: New York Straight Rye Whiskey Finished in Maple Syrup Barrels with bold rye spice, with a subtle maple sweetness, “Back Room Deal”: New York Straight Rye Whiskey Finished in Peated Scotch Barrels showcasing a bit of smoke and a bit of spice, “Four Part Harmony”: New York Four Grain Bourbon Whiskey aged a minimum of seven years nd showcasing flavors of rich toffee, pepper and oak.
Vale Fox Distillery, Poughkeepsie
As one of the only Hudson Valley Distilleries in Poughkeepsie, The Vale Fox Distillery offers three distinct spirits: Tod & Vixen’s, an award winning gin designed for cocktails, Libations, a celebrity couple led brand of tea infused American whiskies and flavored gins, Vale Fox, a single malt that has been aging for 3 years in innovative casks. They offer distillery tours and tastings from Wednesday to Saturday.
Tips for having the best time at Hudson Valley Distilleries:
- Before visiting any of these Hudson Valley Distilleries, please confirm ALL information on their websites.
- Some of these Hudson Valley Distilleries are open seasonally, so check info first
- If you’re looking to do a tour in addition to a tasting, reservations are often required and vary in price.
- Many of these Hudson Valley Distilleries are located near other establishments such as Hudson Valley Wineries and/or Breweries.
Looking to make a day out of visiting Hudson Valley distilleries?
Then take a look at my ’50+ Things to do in the Hudson Valley’ Guides & Made-For-You Itineraries.
Until the Next Adventure…
Check out My Etsy Shop
where you will find deals on Tees, Totes & More.