Chagall Stained Glass & A Matisse Window
in Westchester Co.: An Artistic Treasure
Would you think that behind these doors sits works of art so profound that visitors flock from all over to admire them? Union Church of Pocantico Hills looks like a beautiful, modest church from the outside. The Chagall stained glass and Matisse window are what dreams are made of.
Inside Union Church, one can behold stained glass windows designed by Marc Chagall and the last work ever created by Henri Matisse.
It’s no wonder it was listed in the US National Register of Historic Places in 2006.
Although this location is currently closed for visitors, please follow these guidelines:
– Please be safe.
– Practice social distancing, wear a mask, wash hands thoroughly and follow all mandates and recommendations of the Centers for Disease Control (cdc.gov) and NY State and local Governments.
Things to Know Before you visit Union Church to See Chagall Stained Glass:
- Union Church of Pocantico Hills is typically open for self-guided and guided tours from the beginning of April – End of December. But updated hours can be found on their website.
- According to their website, photography is not allowed inside the church but is allowed on the grounds
- Although public tours are available when the church is open, larger groups are advised to make a reservation.
- Because Union Church is used by the congregation, it is always advised to check their website for any scheduled closings.
- Tour Fee (when offered): Adult/Children $9 by cash or check only
- Parking on the church grounds is Free.
Visiting Union Church of Pocantico Hills:
Union Church is not open to visitors except during religious services
The History Behind the Chagall Stained Glass and Matisse Window at Union Church
The church was built by John D Rockefeller Jr. The location of the church played a major role in his development of the area, as it sits below his estate, Kykuit.
The Rockefeller family, particularly Nelson Rockefeller requested a work of art from Henri Matisse to honor his late mother. And this is how the famous last work of Matisse, the Rose Window, was commissioned.
Upon their father’s death, the Rockefeller children then commissioned Marc Chagall to create the remaining designs, totaling 9 windows.
Eight of the nine windows adorn the sides of the church, while the biggest and most glorious one engulfs the back of the church with brilliant color and light. This stunning piece is called the “Good Samaritan”.
What is Union Church of Pocantico Hills?
Union Church is a darling church situated on quiet Westchester County road. This church and its active congregation take great pride in being able to showcase these magnificent pieces of art.
In total, visitors can see 10 stained glass windows when visiting Union Church of Pocantico Hills.
- The Rose Window by Henri Matisse
- The Good Samaritan Window by Marc Chagall
- Seven windows inspired by the Old Testament by Marc Chagall
- One window inspired by the New Testament by Marc Chagall
Take a peek inside and see the Chagall Stained Glass & Matisse Window
Photographs inside the church are, unfortunately not permitted, so I do not have any personal photos to showcase on this blog pots.
If you’d like a peek, though, at these marvelous creations, you can view photos directly on the Union Church of Pocantico Hills Page of hudsonvalley.org.
Union Church of Pocantico Hills is located at 555 Bedford Road in Pocantico Hills, NY.
GPS Address: 555 Bedford Road, Tarrytown, NY 10591
Visitors should plan for a visit of at least 30 minutes.
How to get to Union Church of Pocantico Hills and see the Chagall Stained Glass & A Matisse Window
Located in Pocantico Hills, NY this enchanting place sits on a quiet road.
Situated off of Broadway in Sleepy Hollow, NY, Union Church of Pocantico Hills is easily accessible by car.
It is close enough to the NYS Thruway and the Mario Cuomo Bridge (Tappan Zee Bridge) that it makes a day trip to Union Church a breeze.
Union Church of Pocantico Hills is approximately a 10-minute taxi ride from the Metro-North Hudson Line Tarrytown Station.
Are there Tours?
At the time of the original posting, Tours were available for all visitors but not required.
But, since then, tours had been suspended.
Self-guided tours can be completed at your leisure while guided tours occur every thirty minutes.
In doing some research for this blog post, I located another post that had permission to publish the photos of the stained glass windows. You can find that post HERE.
Tips for an Amazing Visit to Union Church:
- Be patient during their peak seasons at times, as it may get crowded.
- Remember that you cannot take photos inside the church.
- Check their website to confirm dates/times they are open.
- A Visit to the Hudson River Museum
- An Afternoon at Storm King Art Center
- Explore the Inside & Outside of Rockland Center for the Arts
- A Visit to DIA:Beacon