Bronx River Parkway Bicycle Sundays: A Guide to Having Fun
For those seeking an escape from the daily grind, the Bronx River Parkway Bicycle Sundays program offers the perfect solution. Because in the midst of the hustle and bustle of life, it can be difficult to find a moment of peace and quiet.
This is such a great program that takes place on select Sundays throughout the year. It allows visitors to bike along the scenic Bronx River Parkway without the worry of traffic.
This article contains an affiliate link or two. I make a small commission for purchases made through links at no extra cost to you. Read my disclosure for more info.
- What is Bronx River Parkway Bicycle Sundays?
- Planning your visit to Bronx River Parkway Bicycle Sundays
- Riding the Route
- Plan Your Next Lower Hudson Valley Outing with Ease!
What is Bronx River Parkway Bicycle Sundays?
Bronx River Parkway Bicycle Sundays is a program that has been running for over 45 years and offers a unique opportunity to experience nature in the heart of Westchester County NY.
Bikers can take in stunning views of the Bronx River, pass by beautiful parks, and enjoy a peaceful ride through some of the county’s most scenic areas. For those looking to get away from the noise and chaos of the city, the Bronx River Parkway Bicycle Sundays program is the perfect way to do so.
The History of Bicycle Sundays on the Bronx River Parkway
The program was first introduced in 1974, and it has since become a popular attraction for both locals and visitors to the area.
The best part is that this is a free activity to do from the Spring through the Fall in the Hudson Valley. Bronx River Parkway Bicycle Sundays is presented by Westchester County Parks and sponsored by Westchester Parks Foundation and its partners, with the goal of promoting healthy and active lifestyles while also providing an opportunity for visitors to experience the beauty of the Bronx River Parkway.
When does the Bronx River Parkway Bicycle Sundays program run?
During the program, a section of the parkway is closed to vehicle traffic, providing a safe and enjoyable environment for bikers of all skill levels to ride along the parkway. The program typically runs on Sundays from May to September, with the exact dates and times varying from year to year.
Planning your visit to Bronx River Parkway Bicycle Sundays
– Date and Times
The Bronx River Parkway Bicycle Sundays program is a seasonal event that typically runs from May to September. The program runs from 10:00 am to 2:00 pm on Sundays and it’s free of charge. This website has the updated information and it is updated yearly.
Visitors should check the program’s website or contact the Westchester County Parks Department to confirm the dates and times for the program. It’s worth noting that some Sundays may be canceled due to inclement weather or other reasons, so visitors should double-check the program’s schedule before planning their visit.
– What to Bring
To fully enjoy the experience, visitors should bring their own bicycles or rent them from a local bike rental shop before arriving.
Rentals can be arranged at several bike rental shops in the area, such as:
Helmets are required for all riders and should be worn at all times. This helmet is a great choice for beginners and is relatively inexpensive.
Visitors should also bring comfortable clothing, sunscreen, and plenty of water (these insulated water bottles are always a good choice) and snacks in order to stay hydrated and energized during the ride.
Restrooms are also available at various locations along the route.
– Parking and Transportation
Parking is available at various locations along the Bronx River Parkway, but it can fill up quickly, so visitors should plan to arrive early.
Visitors can also take public transportation to the program, with several bus routes and train stations located nearby. The closest train station is the Bronxville Metro-North station, which is located near the southern end of the program route. Most parking areas in Bronxville are free on Sundays. Check out this website for more information.
Get your Hudson Valley fix with my collection of Hudson Valley products!
Shop now on Etsy.
– Rules and Regulations
Visitors should familiarize themselves with the rules and regulations Bronx River Parkway Bicycle Sundays before arriving:
- Visitors should not that Bronx River Parkway Bicycle Sundays is open to Bicyclists, In-Line Skaters, Scooters, walkers and joggers
- Walkers, joggers and slower wheeled traffic must use the right lane; faster wheeled traffic must use the left lane
- New York State law requires helmets for children under age 14, including those riding in bike trailers; helmets are strongly recommended for all wheeled participants
- New York State law prohibits children under age 1 from riding on bicycles or in a separate seat
- All headsets are prohibited. This includes but is not limited to music devices and hands-free cell phones
- No skateboarding allowed
- No dogs allowed
- Visitors must stay on the designated route and are not allowed to stray onto any other parts of the parkway.
- Bicyclists must obey the posted parkway speed limit of 40 m.p.h.
- Children under age 10 must be accompanied by an adult
- All participants must be off the parkway by 1:50 p.m.
- Finally, visitors should remember to dispose of any trash properly and respect the natural environment.
By adhering to these rules, visitors can help keep the program safe and enjoyable for everyone.
Riding the Route
– Overview of the Route
The Bronx River Parkway Bicycle Sundays program route is approximately 13 miles long and runs along the Bronx River Parkway, starting in White Plains and ending in Yonkers. The route is from Exit 22 at the Westchester County Center to Exit 4 at Scarsdale Road in Yonkers.
The route is mostly flat and easy to ride, with a few moderate hills and inclines in certain areas. Visitors can expect to see a variety of landscapes and scenery along the way.
– Highlights of the Route
- Visitors will pass by several parks and recreational areas along the route, including the Kensico Dam Plaza.
- Visitors will also ride through several historic communities and landmarks, such as the Bronx River Reservation, Westchester’s oldest park.
- Along the way, visitors can also stop at various rest areas and amenities, such as picnic areas.
Plan Your Next Lower Hudson Valley Outing with Ease!
These Lower Hudson Valley Digital Resources Will:
- Give you a Quick & Easy way to research places in the Lower Hudson Valley
- Be your Go-To Resource when you run out of ideas for places to go
- Help you Save Money while on your outing
- Help you Discover Places that may be right in your community & that you may not have thought of
Use coupon code: WELCOME60 for 60% off
– Tips for Riding the Route
As with any outdoor activity, precautions should be made to ensure a fun and safe time. By following these tips you can ensure that you and other visitors to Bronx River Parkway Bicycle Sundays have a safe and enjoyable time.
Some tips include:
- Visitors should exercise at a comfortable pace and take breaks as needed to rest and hydrate.
- You should be mindful of your surroundings and follow traffic and safety rules.
- Take your time to enjoy the scenic views and attractions along the route, but should also be mindful of the time and plan accordingly to ensure that they can complete the full route before the program ends at 2:00 pm.
So what do you think? Ready to take your next adventure during Bronx River Parkway Bicycle Sundays?
More things to do in Westchester County:
Until the Next Time…
Check out My Etsy Shop
where you will find deals on Tees, Totes & More.