Amazing Views & Even Better Wine
in Ulster County NY
After following a recommendation from a family member, I decided my first visit to a winery would be to Benmarl Winery, in Marlboro, NY.
Growing up in the Bronx, I naively thought that New York was only about apples and picking apples. We would take the drive up North and go apple picking almost every season. No one ever in my life mentioned that the Hudson Valley was also ‘Wine Country’.
Now that we live in Ulster County, we are surprised to be surrounded by so many wonderful Wineries and Vineyards, especially Benmarl Winery.
This article contains affiliate links. I make a small commissions for purchases made through links at no extra cost to you.
Read my disclosure for more info.
Essentials you need for any Hudson Valley Outing:
Personalized Hudson Valley Directory
Personalized Hudson Valley T-shirts
101+ Things to do in the HV for $10 or less
Click below to see items I always have during my Hudson Valley Outings:
- Because ‘you never know’ when an accident happens, you need this product in your life. This is a great buy for under $15
- If you’re going to be out all day exploring, you never REALLY know what the weather will be like. Even if you think you do know, this is an essential item. This is another great buy for under $15.
- My favorite walking shoes, by far, are these because they are soft and the memory foam feels great on my feet.
January 16th – March 31st: Thur – Sun (12-5pm)
(Benmarl’s Wood-fired Pizza Oven, Bakery & Sweet Shop will not be open unless noted on Social Media)
April 1st – December 31st: Mon – Sun (12-5pm)
$15 per person – sample of 6 wines
Visiting Benmarl Winery:
Things to Know Before your Visit to Benmarl Winery:
- The best time of the year to visit Benmarl Winery is during the Spring, Summer and Fall.
- Although Benmarl Winery hosts winter events, most of the grounds are not accessible because of ice and snow.
- Food is allowed suring summer and fall events. No outside beverages are allowed, though, but feel free to bring a picnic.
Changes to the Visiting Experience During the Pandemic:
- Visits to the winery are by reservation only.
- Reservations are for seated table service only.
- Group sizes are limited to 8 people only.
- Visits are limited to 75 minutes.
- Wood Fired Pizza is available on weekends only.
- Masks are required for all visitors.
- Reservations may be cancelled due to inclement weather.
What is Benmarl Winery?
Benmarl Winery is America’s Oldest Vineyard and boasts an award-winning collection of wines. Among its 37 acres, Benmarl Winery is the location for premier wines and impeccable hospitality.
In addition to their tasting room, and banquet room, Benmarl hosts tours of the Cellar and offer their visitors a wonderful tour.
According to their Website:
“Nestled in the lush green hills of Marlboro you will find Benmarl Winery. Overlooking the Historic Hudson River Valley, its 37 acre estate lays claim to the oldest vineyard in America.”
Where is Benmarl Winery Located?
Benmarl Winery is located in Marlboro, NY.
It is on the border of Orange County and Ulster County in the Mid-Hudson Valley. Just north of the town in Newburgh, NY, Benmarl Winery is located in the hills of Marlboro, NY and overlooks the beautiful Hudson Valley.
The Ultimate Guide to Ulster County Towns
Reference this Ulster County, NY Guide before heading out on any Hudson Valley outing in Ulster County, NY. I include practical tips and a list of great things to do in Ulster County, NY
Benmarl Winery is easy to find as it is located off of Route 9W.
Patrons coming from the North and South, will be happy about the close proximity of Benmarl Winery to major highways and local bridges.
156 Highland Ave
Marlboro, NY 12542
Due to its close proximity to major roadways and bridges, Benmarl Winery is also a place most likely to attract visitors from nearby and also visitors from afar.
Best Things to Do at Benmarl Winery
Benmarl Winery in the Winter
My first visit to Benmarl Winery happened in the Winter during their Special Valentine’s Day Wine and Cheese/Chocolate Tasting.
Although the grounds were covered in snow, we looked out the window of the tasting room and fell in love with the spectacular views of the Hudson Valley.
You will not be disappointed with a visit during the Winter months. Although not typically a time to visit a winery, the beauty of the winter showcases how perfect and special Benmarl Winery is.
Benmarl Winery Valentine’s Event
The wine selections are amazing, the cheese delicious and the chocolate is decadent.
During their Valentine’s Day event we sampled 6 different wines; each unique and flavorful. These wines were accompanied by a tray of local cheeses and chocolates.
During the event, you are instructed to pair the wines with either a cheese or a chocolate indicated on the ‘list’ or mat. This guide not only helped with the pairing but also listed the prices of the wine being sampled, in case you would like to purchase a wine to take home.
Everything was delicious and we enjoyed ourselves very much, that we decided we would have to make a return visit during the summer.
At the time of this posting, this event is $25 per person (souvenir glass included)
Benmarl Winery in the Summer
Fast forward to the summer and my husband and I bought tickets to their Annual Sangria Festival.
On the day of the event, the heat index reached 100 degrees, but we made the best of it, as Benmarl Winery offered a tented area that provided an ample amount of shade.
Although the temperatures were sky high, the visitors to Benmarl Winery all enjoyed themselves with:
- Delicious sangria
- Great food
- Wonderful company
- Amazing views of the Hudson River Valley
During the Sangria Festival, there are several varieties of Sangria to sample.
How this works:
You’re given a punch card and can sample several sangria flavors with the option to buy more (by the glass or by the pitcher).
The secret is to find a few you like and keep going back for more. My favorite are the berry-flavored sangrias.
I was happily surprised to see that it is a family-friendly and dog-friendly event.
Puppies with their owners, as well as, children dancing and enjoying themselves alongside their families was great to see.
In addition to the Sangria tastings, there is also food for sale. For those that want to enjoy their own sangria feast, outside food is allowed but not outside beverages.
We often pack:
- Salads in mason jars
- A cheese plate with fruit & crackers
- An assortment of small sandwiches
while live music and flamenco dancers entertain the happy crowd.
During the festival, we also took some time and participated in their Cellar tour.
Our tour guide was friendly and knowledgeable and the history of this beautiful place was mesmerizing.
Everyone had a great time!
At the time of this posting, this event is $25 per person (souvenir glass included)
Benmarl Winery in the Fall
One of the best times to visit Benmarl Winery, on my opinion, is during the fall.
The crisp air and changing leaves offer a marvelous backdrop to any wine tasting experience. Sit outside and enjoy the view while enjoying a glass of their award-winning wine or a flight of wines.
Tastings are offered seven days a week and reservations are needed. Food is available a la carte and their wood-fired pizzas are available on the weekends.
At the time of this posting, a flight of four wines is $15.
Make a statement on your Next Outing with
These Exclusive HVE Products
More Events at Benmarl Winery
Check their website and Facebook page often, as they host many events during the Spring, Summer, and Fall months.
The following events take place on a yearly basis (unless otherwise noted):
- Dog Day Afternoon
Bring your dog! Dog vendors, organizations, and animal rescues from all over the Hudson Valley will be in our courtyard mingling with you and our four-legged friends, along with live music and (of course!) wine tastings!
- September & October Grape Stomping Events
Come breath in the fall, stomp grapes, drink wine and dance to live music at this all time favorite event.
- Benmarl Winery and Hudson Valley Seafood All You Can Eat Seafood Picnic
Gather the family together, load the kids into the wagon, and come out to one of the most stunning and beautiful farm -vineyards in the Hudson River Valley.
More Things To Do Near Benmarl Winery:
- WALK OFF YOUR FOOD & WINE AT THE WALKWAY OVER THE HUDSON STATE HISTORIC SITE
- TASTE SOME HUDSON VALLEY HARD CIDER AT BAD SEED CIDER COMPANY
- AN AFTERNOON AT WASHINGTON HEADQUARTERS STATE HISTORIC SITE
A Few Things to Know Before Your Visit to Benmarl Winery:
- This is a great place for families, couples and friends.
- Reservations for outside wine tasting may be cancelled due to inclement weather.
- At the time of this posting, tastings are $15 for a flight of four (4) wines
- Special events vary in prices ($25+ p/p)
- Reservations are required
- They own a small bed & breakfast on the premises (check their website for more information
156 Highland Ave, Marlboro
Until the Next Adventure…
Jackie is one of the top bloggers in the Hudson Valley. She has been featured (along with some of her photos) in several local and national publications. Read Jackie’s crazy story, “From a Naive NYC Girl to Popular Hudson Valley Blogger & Author“. Feel free to send Jackie a message here.